Bollywood bids adieu to Prakash MehraMay 19th, 2009 - 12:59 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra passed away on Sunday May 17th morning. However, his funeral took place on Monday May 18th late noon at the Oshiwara Cremation Grounds. The reason being his son, Sumeet who stays in the US was to reach back to Mumbai for the last rites ceremony.
A good number of Hindi film industry people had already assembled at Mehra’s Juhu bungalow from morning itself. His body was then taken to Oshiwara cremation grounds from there. A larger number of Bollywood celebrities were then seen assembling there. Amongst those reached earlier was veteran music director Anandji (of Kalyanji-Anandji jodi fame) who had given music to many Mehra’s super hit films like Zanjeer, Muqqadar Ka Sikandar and Laawaris amongst many others. Music director Bappi Lahiri who too worked on Mehra’s films and delivered musical hits such as Sharaabi and Namak Halaal came in with son Bappa Lahiri. Soon few minutes later Amitabh Bachchan made an entry with son, Abhishek Bachchan. Mehra is credited for creating Big B’s angry young man image with their film together Zanjeer (1973). Interestingly, when the Bachchans came in none of the present electronic media members rushed towards them like they usually do or how they did just few weeks during late Feroz Khan’s condolence meet. Big B that time had lambasted through his blog, media’s insensitive behaviour during such occasions.
The Bachchans were then joined by veteran filmmakers Ramesh Sippy and Yash Chopra. Actor-filmmaker Sanjay Khan who had acted in Mehra’s second film, Mela which paired him along with his brother Feroz Khan for the first time came in solo. There was also actor Ranjeet who had played villain many a times in Mehra’s films.
Amongst other Bollywood celebs we saw filmmakers Madhur Bhandarkar, Goldie Bahl, Anees Bazmee, Tinnu Anand and Ashoke Pandit. -Sampurn Media
- Maharashtra's 'Lata Mangeshkar Award' for composer Anandji - Aug 30, 2012
- Court declines to stay release of 'Chalo Dilli' - Apr 27, 2011
- Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra dead - May 17, 2009
- Veteran filmmaker Prakash Mehra passes away - May 17, 2009
- Sanjay's tribute to Big B with 'Thodi si jo pi li hai' - Apr 21, 2012
- Big B has a fan in Farah's son - Dec 29, 2011
- Two item songs in 'Zanjeer' remake, Mahie gets one - Apr 16, 2012
- I am incomplete without Rafi: Shammi Kapoor - Aug 01, 2010
- Prakash Mehra - creator of Bollywood's 'angry young man' (Obituary) - May 17, 2009
- Arjun Rampal no more part of 'Zanjeer' remake - Aug 27, 2012
- Priyanka doing 'Zanjeer', will start shooting in September - Jun 12, 2012
- Bappa Lahiri Scores Music For Bengali Movie 'Hangover' - Jun 10, 2010
- Shashi Kapoor turns 74 - Mar 18, 2012
- Priyanka not yet confirmed for 'Zanjeer' remake: Apoorva Lakhia - Apr 07, 2012
- I know what the youth wants: Bappi Lahiri - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: abhishek bachchan, amitabh bachchan, angry young man, bahl, bollywood celebrities, feroz khan, kalyanji anandji, laawaris, lahiri, madhur bhandarkar, man image, media members, namak halaal, ranjeet, sanjay khan, sharaabi, sikandar, son sumeet, veteran filmmaker, veteran filmmakers