‘Bol Bachchan’ music fails to hold interest (IANS Music Review)June 23rd, 2012 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Bol Bachchan”; Music Director: Himesh Reshammiya, Ajay-Atul; Lyricist: Farhad-Sajid, Shabbir Ahmed, Swanand Kirkire, Sameer Anjaan; Singers: Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Ajay Devgn, Himesh Reshammiya, Mamta Sharma, Vineet Singh, Sukhwinder Singh, Shreya Ghoshal, Mohit Chauhan; Rating- **1/2
Four songs and their remixes — that pretty much describes the soundtrack of “Bol Bachchan”. However, with four lyricists at their disposal, one expected a much better performance by the veteran Himesh Reshammiya and the duo of Ajay-Atul, who have earned much fame in Marathi music with their compositions.
The album starts on a good note with the voice of Big B, who has used his baritone in the title track “Bol Bachchan”. He is joined by son Abhishek and actor Ajay along with Himesh Reshammiya, Mamta Sharma and Vineet Singh.
The lyrics, penned by Farhad-Sajid are funny and remind the listeners of Amitabh’s classic number “My name is Anthony Gonsalves”. The composition is also good and this one is surely the catch of the soundtrack. It also has a remix version, replete with powerful beats. But the original works better.
Reshammiya gets you into the groove with “Chalao na naino se baan”, reminiscent of the yesteryear hit “Bholi surat dil ke khote”. The song has a very desi feel with playful lyrics by Shabbir Ahmed.
However, despite the support of Shreya Ghoshal’s melodious vocals, the song does not leave a huge impact and is good for a one-time hear. Its remix version fares better musically with the inclusion of dhol and drum beats.
The third track “Nach le nach le” has a tango feel and kicks off with the beautiful sound of the saxophone. The musical duo of Ajay-Atul bring to the table different musical styles like dandiya and groovy Punjabi beats, providing a festive feel by mashing the music elements quite well.
The lyrics by Swanand Kirkire are voiced by Sukhwinder Singh, who is quite appealing. He is joined by Ghoshal and together they have done a fairly good job. Nothing too great about the remixed version, and its inclusion is hard to justify. It’s definitely a passe.
With the last track, one was hoping for a good ending with Mohit Chauhan crooning a romantic number. However, “Jab se dekhi hai” is a very average track with a very ordinary composition.
Chauhan’s beautiful voice has been totally wasted and the song fails to garner a positive response from the listener. What’s more tragic is it’s remix, which although has good electric beats but they are not at all in sync with the vocals.
The soundtrack thus fails to impress. The sole saving grace is the title track. There will be few takers for this album and it also jeopardises the musical genius Himesh Reshammiya, who needs to think about what went wrong here.
- No strong musical backing for 'Singham' (IANS Music Review) - Jul 03, 2011
- Be choosy with the soundtrack of 'Dangerous Ishhq' (IANS Music Review) - Apr 28, 2012
- 'Barfi!' soundtrack is simple, flawless (IANS Music Review) - Aug 28, 2012
- 'English Vinglish' soundtrack simple, sober (IANS Music Review) - Sep 21, 2012
- 'Kajraare' music an overdose of Himesh Reshammiya (IANS Music Review) - Jun 07, 2010
- 'Bbuddah...Hoga Terra Baap' Amitabh album all the way (IANS Music Review) - Jun 18, 2011
- Sony Music acquires 'Agneepath' music rights - Dec 12, 2011
- 'Shirin Farhad...' soundtrack laced with romantic tones (IANS music review) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rawness core of 'Vicky Donor' music album (IANS Music Review) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shortcomings abound, 'Tezz' soundtrack still leaves a mark (IANS Music Review) - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Well Done Abba' offers simple, hummable tunes (IANS Music Review) - Mar 13, 2010
- '3 Idiots' music has youthful spunk, raw energy (IANS Music Review) - Nov 15, 2009
- Get a taste of romance, action with 'Ek Tha Tiger' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Department' - lively, powerful soundtrack (IANS music review) - May 13, 2012
- 'Tum chain ho' clear winner in 'Milenge Milenge' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: abhishek bachchan, amitabh bachchan, beautiful sound, dandiya, dhol, gonsalves, himesh reshammiya, lyricist, lyricists, mamta, mohit, music director, music elements, music review, musical duo, original works, shabbir ahmed, shreya ghoshal, sukhwinder singh, vineet singh