Bob Marleys family strikes merchandise dealFebruary 12th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 12 (ANI): Jamaican musician Bob Marley has long been dead but his family is keeping his spirit alive by signing up for a merchandise deal.
Bob Marley-themed drinks, luggage, stationery, hotels and video games too are being named after the late reggae star.
We”re open to licensing just about anything, the BBC quoted the late reggae icon’’s daughter Cedella, as saying.
If it is not right, we will not do it, she said.
The family has teamed up with private equity firm Hilco to capitalise on his name and songs and to stop bootleggers, and have started with a Bob Marley lager and coffee, which will be among the first items on the market.
Headphones, snowboards, shoes, musical instruments and electronics are on a list of other products that will be developed in a major expansion of Marley’’s official merchandise range.
Another plan is to open a global chain of One Love cafes where people can come, eat good Jamaican food, talk about the music, listen to the music, live bands.
That’’s something that we”ve always wanted to explore, Cedella said.
We”re talking [about] all over the world - one in London, one in Asia, one in Amsterdam, she added.
This is a big business for bootleggers and Cedella wants to stop some of the nonsense, and make sure the great stuff upholds standards.
Sometimes when you put on his records it’’s like he’’s talking about today, right now, she said.
Adding: The message is still about hope and peace and all of us coming together. That’’s what makes him special. All of us can relate to him. (ANI)
- Bob Marley 'blacked up with shoe polish in a bid to appear more African' - Dec 05, 2010
- Bob Marley film to be shown at Berlin fest - Jan 23, 2012
- Biopic on reggae legend Bob Marley - Aug 21, 2010
- Brazilian supermodel to wed one of Bob Marley's sons - May 14, 2012
- Marley's family wins image rights case - Jan 23, 2011
- We packed the ego and made a song: Band member A.R. Rahman - Sep 10, 2011
- Bob Marley family loses copyright fight with Universal Music Group - Sep 15, 2010
- Drake wants to be music icon - Mar 31, 2012
- Rahman in Mick Jagger's new band - May 22, 2011
- Now, Jonathan Demme 'pulls out' of Bob Marley documentary - Aug 14, 2009
- Hairstyling the African way in Indian capital (With Image) - Apr 06, 2011
- Krishna jazz from faraway Congo (With Images) - Mar 23, 2010
- Bob Marley's son defends controversial book about dad - Mar 18, 2010
- Legendary Lauryn Hill Proclaims Her Comeback With 5 Fresh Gigs In America In The Near Future - Dec 21, 2010
- "Cool Ruler" Gregory Isaacs Passes Away At 59 - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: asia one, bbc, bob marley, bob marleys, bootleggers, cafes, cedella, global chain, great stuff, headphones, jamaican food, live bands, london feb, luggage, merchandise range, musician, nonsense, private equity firm, reggae star, stationery