Bob Dylan’s paintings on exhibitionNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:29 am ICT by admin
One of the highlights of the exhibition is a painting of a curvaceous woman viewed by Dylan from behind, while he was drinking in the Red Lion pub in Blackpool in 1992.
Dylan, who once put a childlike picture of his own on the cover of his appropriately named Self Portrait album of songs, was persuaded to mount his first show by Ingrid Mossinger, curator of the museum in the town that was known as Karl-Marx-Stadt when it was behind the iron curtain.
Mossinger saw pencil and charcoal drawings, made by Dylan for a book called Drawn Blank, during her visit to New York in the early Nineties. She approached him and asked him to finish the works.
Over the next eight months, Dylan made 320 artwork that included portraits, landscapes, and still lives.
Dylan took art classes in the Seventies with Norman Raeben, a teacher in New York city.
He, however, has not always been very keen on appearing in an exhibition.
“Great paintings should be where people hang out,” Time Online quoted him as saying in the Sixtees.
“Just think how many people would really feel great if they could see a Picasso in their daily diner. It’s not the bomb that has to go, man; it’s the museums,” he said.
The exhibition runs until February. (ANI)
- Contemporary masters on paper in Saffronart auction - Jul 05, 2011
- Presenting, 'master' Picasso with 'fan' Souza in East-West showcase (With Images) - Dec 19, 2011
- Sotheby's sells eight Picassos for more than $50 mn - May 05, 2011
- Art on paper is back with a bang (With Images) - May 29, 2010
- New exhibition to show Picasso's feminist side - Mar 28, 2010
- Stolen Picasso paintings found in Serbia - Oct 08, 2011
- Picasso stolen from Athens National Gallery - Jan 10, 2012
- Water colour struggles to breathe in age of new media art (Feature) (With Image) - Jul 29, 2012
- Meet the Russian woman who paints with her 40E breasts! - Nov 23, 2010
- Once criticised, painter Tagore now aesthetic icon (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- Picasso painting vandalised in US - Jun 20, 2012
- Rare portraits of Gandhi to be auctioned in England - Jan 13, 2012
- Picasso painting stolen in Colombia - Oct 26, 2011
- Painter Antoni Tapies dies - Feb 07, 2012
- 12 Tagore art works to be auctioned at Sotheby's - May 17, 2010
Tags: art classes, blackpool, bob dylan, charcoal drawings, curvaceous, eight months, exhibition, included portraits, iron curtain, karl marx, nineties, paintings, pastel drawings, portrait album, red lion pub, self portrait, seventies, watercolour