‘Black’ is dull and dreary (Kannada Film Review)June 22nd, 2009 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
By R.G. Vijayasarathy
Film: “Black”; Cast: Kishor, Mahendar, Jayashree, Manasi, Mina, Anantha Velu, Sunil, Shantha, Naveen, Chaithanya and others; Director: M. Mahendar; Dialogue writer: Suresh Goswami; Music Director: C.R. Bobby; Rating: *
“Black” is directed by M. Mahendar who claims that he has a great passion for making films. But understanding the medium and creating a good script is more important than just being passionate about making movies. “Black” clearly proves that Mahendar’s lack of experience has damaged the film more than anything else.
“Black” looks like an immature attempt from the word go. Mahendar could have tried to work with good technicians who could have helped him, but he trusted people who are inexperienced in handling film related work. Technically also the film is bad.
The title “Black” signifies the first letters in the names of five youngsters — Bharath, Lakshmi, Akash, Chethan and Kishor — who form a group and take on corrupt people in the society and kill them.
A senior police officer is engaged to investigate the matter. How the officer tries to unravel the mystery behind the murders forms the rest of the story.
Most of the sequences in the film lack credibility. Mahendar has not focused on the continuity aspect while many sequences are repeated and expose the director’s lack of knowledge about filmmaking. Dialogues are bookish.
Except Kishor, none of the new artists impresses. But experienced actors Manasi and Jayashri have done a satisfactory job.
Music and camera work fail to make any impact.
Watch the film only if you have patience to withstand the torture of two hours.
- Flawed script makes 'Dhada' ordinary fare (Telugu Movie Review) - Aug 14, 2011
- 'Crazy Loka' - good actors wasted (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Parichaya' fails to live up to hype (Kannada Film Review) - Nov 07, 2009
- Despite flaws, 'Kiladi Kitty' worth a watch (Kannada Movie Review) - May 19, 2012
- 'Yogi' a predictable fare (Kannada Film Review) - Oct 31, 2009
- 'Suryakanthi' - great visuals but old story (Kannada Film Review) - Jan 16, 2010
- 'Rajadhani' a pleasant surprise for viewers (Kannada Movie Review) - Jun 05, 2011
- Arvind Kaushik creates history, shoots film in two hours - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Ye Maayam...' refreshing, pure love story (Telugu Film Review) - Feb 28, 2010
- 'Parole' an ordinary revenge drama (Kannada Movie Review) - Apr 11, 2010
- Insipid story makes 'Devadas' a dull affair (Kannada Movie Review) - May 15, 2011
- 'Jackie' is a fast-paced entertainer (Kannada Movie Review) - Oct 16, 2010
- Kishore Sarja could have made a better 'Vaayuputhra' (Kannada Film Review) - Sep 06, 2009
- Poor script spoils 'Kho Kho' (Kannada Movie Review) - Jan 15, 2012
- Director Daththu's 'Machcha' disappoints (Kannada Film Review) - May 03, 2009
Tags: anantha, camera work, chaithanya, chethan, continuity, dialogue writer, dialogues, jayashree, kannada film, lack credibility, lack of knowledge, murders, music director, patience, police officer, rest of the story, satisfactory job, sequences, shantha, youngsters