‘Bipasha Bollywood’s most experimental dresser’ (With Images)April 1st, 2009 - 10:55 am ICT by IANS
By Shilpa Raina
New Delhi, April 1 (IANS) He has dressed Bollywood divas like Priyanka Chopra, Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, but designer Gavin Miguel says Bipasha Basu outshines them all when it comes to experimental dressing. She will surprise everyone with her new look in forthcoming film “Pankh”, he predicts.
“She gives me complete freedom when it comes to dressing her up. She is very experimental and tries to change her look in every movie. The best part is that she carries herself so well that everything looks good on her,” Miguel told IANS over phone from Mumbai.
Miguel is styling Bipasha for Sudipto Chattopadhyaya’s “Pankh”, in which she plays an imaginary character. The designer admits that he initially had thought Bipasha was “broad-framed”, but his perception changed after working with her.
“Initially I felt Bipasha was broad-framed but after I worked with her, I realised the fact that she has lost a lot of weight and now is svelte and sexy,” he said.
The Mumbai-based designer says Bipasha’s look in the movie would be a total surprise package.
“This time you will see Bipasha in a new avatar as she plays an imaginary character. She has a completely new look,” Miguel said.
The designer has been in the industry for over 10 years now but he hogged the limelight with Madhur Bhandarkar’s “Fashion” in which he dressed up the three leading ladies - Priyanka Chopra, Kangana Ranaut and Mugdha Godse.
“Yes, it gave me exposure, but fortunately people in the industry knew me already because I let my work speak for me. I make customised clothes and whosoever I dress up, they buy my clothes and this is my major source of income,” Miguel quipped.
Miguel had also dressed Tabu and Priyanka Chopra at the recently held 54th Filmfare awards.
Besides “Fashion”, the designer has showcased his work in movies like “Road”, “Kaante”, “Dhoom”, “Dhoom 2″ and “Drona”, among others.
Surprisingly, Miguel, who is over 30 years old, hasn’t participated in any of the fashion weeks as he believes there is a right time for everything.
“Participating in fashion weeks will surely happen but only at the right time,” he said.
His work, he says, is his passion and he believes that bonding with one’s client is very important while dressing them up.
“Understanding your client and bonding with them is the foundation of this business. You need to have a good rapport with them. The other important thing is that you have to understand their body type, understand their personality and then design accordingly,” Miguel explained.
“It is similar when we design for a Bollywood movie. A lot of hard work goes into every single dress because we have to keep so many things in mind,” he added.
- Bipasha sports nine looks in 'Pankh' (With Images) - Mar 17, 2010
- Priyanka heads for London to promote 'Barfi!' (Movie Snippets) - Aug 28, 2012
- Priyanka, Bipasha team for hip-hop number - Aug 01, 2011
- 'Pankh' of gender confusion and imaginary love (IANS Preview) - Mar 29, 2010
- 'Ishkq In Paris' important for Preity and me: Designer (With Images) - Sep 05, 2012
- Designer Gaurav Gupta to showcase at Alchemy - Mar 18, 2012
- Preity is open to experimentation: Designer - Sep 26, 2011
- Designing for 'Cocktail' was easy: Anaita Shroff (With Image) - Jul 08, 2012
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Biggest moment when Michelle wore my dress: Naeem Khan (Interview) - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni and Hrithik let their hair down for her - May 19, 2011
- Sayali Bhagat okay with wearing bikini on screen - Sep 16, 2011
- Bollywood people not very stylish: Kangana - Oct 11, 2011
- I'm a diehard Priyanka fan: Shraddha Kapoor - Aug 03, 2011
- Malaika my mentor and muse: designer Rick Roy (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: 54th filmfare awards, april 1, avatar, bipasha basu, bollywood, dhoom 2, divas, drona, forthcoming film, kangana ranaut, kareena kapoor, katrina kaif, limelight, madhur bhandarkar, mumbai, New Delhi, perception, priyanka chopra, raina, surprise package