”Billu Barber” will have no ”barber” in titleFebruary 9th, 2009 - 4:37 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Feb 9 (ANI): Bollywood actor Shahrukh Khan has decided to drop the word ”barber” from the title of his home production film ”Billu Barber” after a section of hairdressers objected to the word terming it as ”derogatory”.
Khan talking to reporters said that his production house Red Chillies has decided to drop the word ”barber” from all the posters.
He said that since the film is slated for release later this week, there isn”t much that can be done. But he added that he doesn”t want to invoke the wrath of any section of the society.
“I understand the emotions and I respect. Instead of it becoming an issue where people are going to blacken out poster and give some sort of dissent or grief at cinema halls, film is not about that. We will try and remove the word ”Barber” from the posters,” said Khan.
Khan said that members of Hairdressers and Saloon Association had approached him with their ”genuine concerns” over the use of the word ”Barber” and its Hindi translation ”hajaam”.
He said that though the censor board has already cleared the film, he would not like to hurt the sentiments of the hairdressers.
“These people feel the word ”hajaam” (barber) that should not be there in the film. We would beep the word in the film, but I don”t think we can do anything about the music. Though the censor board has already cleared the film, we don”t think we have shown them in wrong light. There is no point in releasing a film by hurting the sentiments of the people whose profession we are portraying in the film,” said Khan.
Khan plays a popular Bollywood actor in the film, which is about a village hairdresser and his friendship with a movie star.
”Billu Barber”, directed by Priyadarshan and produced by Khan, is all set for release around Valentine’’s Day. (ANI)
- Shahrukh Khan to market his latest flick ''Billu'' in his own style - Feb 12, 2009
- Shah Rukh to invite barbers, hairstylists for 'Billu' premiere - Feb 11, 2009
- Ranchi hairdressers get free tickets of Billu - Feb 18, 2009
- Bollywood formula: Controversy plus buzz equals publicity (Feature) - Aug 20, 2011
- Censor beeps dialogue in 'Rowdy Rathore' trailer - Apr 03, 2012
- Deepika, Priyadarshan bury the hatchet - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Billu' - an ordinary man's extraordinary tale (Preview) - Feb 11, 2009
- World looking at us through 'Bollywood window': Writer Mushtaq Sheikh - May 29, 2012
- Censor Board Kills Rani Mukerji’s 'Kamini' act in 'No One Killed Jessica' - Dec 16, 2010
- Big B abuses in 'Bbuddah...', but in amusing way! - Jun 21, 2011
- `Delhi Belly' gets bitter censor pill in Nepal - Jul 04, 2011
- Shahrukh Khan slams ''Slumdog Millionaire'' critics - Feb 09, 2009
- Billu Barber is releasing tomorrow - Feb 12, 2009
- Prayers for Shahrukh Khan''s speedy recovery - Feb 17, 2009
- 'Inklab' director slams censors for demanding cuts - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: beep, billu, bollywood actor, chillies, cinema halls, dissent, emotions, genuine concerns, grief, hairdresser, hindi translation, movie star, posters, priyadarshan, production film, profession, sentiments, shahrukh khan, valentine s day, wrath