Big Ballet takes on ’slimmer ballerinas due to lack of plus-size dancers’February 7th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 7 (ANI): The Big Ballet has brought down its requirement of 17-stone dancers to 15-stones because it is unable to find plus-size dancers.
The Big Ballet troupe was established 13 years ago by renowned Russian choreographer Evgeny Panfilo to prove that bigger women could still move elegantly
“The number of hopefuls weighing 17 stone has dropped significantly, coinciding with sustained global campaigns for healthier eating, perhaps most notably spearheaded by celebrity chiefs such as Jamie Oliver,” the Telegraph quoted Tour producer of the Russian dance company, Alexej Ignatow, as saying.
Now for the first time in its 16-year-history, the performing group has dropped its requirements of heavy dancers.
The 16-strong alternative group was set up to challenge social standards in the ballet world and dancers weighed in at just under an average 20st during the last UK tour in 2008.
The 40-date tour starts in Eastbourne, March 1, and ends in Darlington, April 18. (ANI)
- Dance heritage helps Indians appreciate ballet: Moscow ensemble - Feb 16, 2011
- 'Sleeping Beauty' ballet held in Bolshoi - Nov 19, 2011
- 'Bad boys' thrill Delhi - Mar 04, 2012
- Unused Chaplin manuscript found in Italy - Jun 29, 2012
- Hip hop dancers from slum find French connection - Nov 07, 2011
- Three-day ballet festival opens at Kamani theatre - Mar 21, 2012
- Delhi arts fest to kick off with ode to Tagore - Oct 30, 2011
- Scherzinger to pay homage to Pussycat Dolls - Dec 18, 2011
- Malaysian artist to perform Odissi dance in US - Mar 15, 2011
- 5 Cuban ballet dancers remain in Canada after tour - Mar 02, 2011
- Gender empowerment modernised kuchipudi, says maestro (With Image) - Aug 09, 2011
- Salsa anyone? India swings to the Latino beat (With Images) - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Indescribably happy' Portman announces she's engaged and pregnant - Dec 28, 2010
- Dancing to Indian tunes with an American soul (Feature) (With Image) - Jul 06, 2012
- Portman gives birth to baby boy - Jun 15, 2011
Tags: 13 years, ballerinas, ballet troupe, ballet world, celebrity chiefs, choreographer, dance company, dancers, darlington, global campaigns, healthier eating, hopefuls, jamie oliver, london feb, march 1, panfilo, performing group, russian dance, telegraph