Big B mourns ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan’s deathJune 14th, 2012 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 14 (IANS) Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has mourned the death of ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassana and said the era of soulful ghazal singing has come to an end.
“Deeply pained to learn of the passing away of Mehdi Hassan in Pakistan… a vocalist of immense fame and unique sonorous voice,” Amitabh tweeted.
“Mehdi Hassan, an entire era of soulful ghazal singing gone… now left with beautiful memories and personal meetings with him,” he added.
The legendary Pakistani ghazal singer, born in India, passed away at a Karachi hospital Wednesday after a prolonged illness. He was 84. He will be laid to rest Friday.
Recalling his meeting with Hassan, Amitabh wrote: “Mehdi Hassan once told me, he came from humble beginnings, and used to train and sing to the tone of the tractor sound in the fields.”
- Bollywood remembers 'immortal' Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Kashmiri artists and ghazal lovers mourn Mehdi Hassan - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan to be laid to rest Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee condoles Mehdi Hassan's death - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan - my immortal 'ghazal traash' (Tribute) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan: end of golden era of ghazal (Obituary) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mehdi Hassan was outstanding: Lata Mangeshkar - Jun 13, 2012
- Ghazal maestro Mehdi Hassan is dead (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Flyover, park to be dedicated to Mehdi Hassan - Apr 25, 2011
- Mohan Khan set to pay tribute to Mehdi Hassan (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Jagjit Singh brought soul to film songs, says Bollywood - Oct 10, 2011
- Ghazal loses its soulful king in Jagjit Singh (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2011
- Will soon release ghazal album: Javed Ali - Jun 29, 2012