Big B joins ’save the tiger’ campaignMarch 25th, 2010 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 25 (IANS) Concerned over the dwindling number of tigers in India, Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan Thursday joined a campaign to save the big cat, which he described as “symbolic” of the country’s wildlife wealth.
The awareness and tiger conservation initiative is a joint venture of cellphone service provider Aircel and national news channel NDTV.
“The tiger is symbolic of India’s wildlife wealth. It is in danger because of rampant poaching and the ineffectiveness of our system to stop its killing. Collective action is the need of the hour,” Bachchan told reporters at a function here.
“It is our responsibility to not only initiate a public movement but also ensure that it gains momentum,” he added.
The campaign intends to provide a common platform to tiger conservationists and concerned citizens to raise issues and voice their opinions, according to organisers.
The function was organised to announce NDTV joining Aircel in the campaign, which the cellular service had initiated last year.
- Amitabh Bachchan appeals for help tp protect tigers - Jul 15, 2012
- Big B, NDTV raise Rs.4.86 crore for tigers - Dec 14, 2010
- Students campaign to save tigers in Coimbatore - Dec 17, 2010
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Big B, John in Madhya Pradesh to save tigers (Lead) - Dec 12, 2010
- Sariska tiger died of poisoning: Minister - Dec 04, 2010
- Amitabh Bachchan: Endorsing The Campaign Of 'Save Our Tiger Telethon' On TV - Dec 13, 2010
- Tiger count up in India, but habitat shrinks (Roundup) - Mar 28, 2011
- Rhino mother, baby killed in South Africa - Feb 11, 2012
- Countries plan to restore tiger population - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- Eye on tiger: Satellites to track Sariska's big cats - Jul 14, 2011
- Open core areas of wildlife parks to tourists: Khurshid - Jan 07, 2011
- Officials seize a tiger skin from poachers in Tamil Nadu - Apr 15, 2010
- Karnataka sets up special tiger protection force - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: aircel, amitabh bachchan, big cat, cellular service, collective action, concerned citizens, conservation initiative, conservationists, india bollywood, joint venture, march 25, megastar, momentum, national news, ndtv, New Delhi, service provider, tiger campaign, tiger conservation, tigers