Bhavna’s ‘Happi’ black-and-white tribute to Charlie ChaplinMay 3rd, 2011 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 3 (IANS) Director Bhavna Talwar is converting “Happi”, her homage to Charlie Chaplin with Pankaj Kapoor as a desi Chaplin, into a black-and-white format, which she feels best suits the theme of the movie.
“It seemed like a mad and expensive thing to do. But it also seemed right for the theme. If we’re doing a homage to Charlie Chaplin, we need to take it to highest threshold that a homage could go,” said Talwar.
“When we saw the finished product and how profoundly sincere a tribute Pankajji had paid to Chaplin, we couldn’t resist turning it into black-and-white because that was the colour complexion of Chaplin’s cinematic world,” she added.
The film is about survival of a social misfit and Talwar shot and completed “Happi” with Pankaj playing a neo-Chaplin going through a series of almost-silent Chapliesque adventures in Mumbai.
The film was to be released on Chaplin’s birth anniversary on April 16, has now been postponed, with very good reason.
While “Happi” is being converted from its original colour to a black-and-white format, old Hindi classics in Hindi “Mughal-e-Azam”, “Naya Daur” and “Hum Dono” were converted from the original black-and-white to colour.
Bhavna admits it’s been an arduous journey.
“We’ve gone from frame-to-frame with our colour revision. We also got a new editor Sreekar Prasad to re-edit the black-and-white material. Now, in the non-colour version, Pankajji will be seen paying the ultimate tribute to Chaplin.”
- Pankaj Kapoor dubs at world's poshest studio - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Happi' will never be outdated: Bhavna Talwar - Mar 14, 2011
- 'Happi' might be screened at Venice Film Festival: Bhavna Talwar - Jun 18, 2010
- Pankaj Kapoor Rubs Vocal Chords With Sean Connery - Jun 10, 2010
- I'd work with Pankaj Kapoor again and again: Bhavna Talwar - Feb 24, 2010
- Shahid Kapoor On Cloud Nine As He Might Get To Meet Dolores, Charlie Chaplin’s Granddaughter ... - Dec 28, 2010
- Kareena, Bhandarkar at the New York Indian Film Festival - May 08, 2012
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Papa Pankaj Kapoor ready to be surprised by sonny Shahid Kapoor - Feb 08, 2010
- Photography has arrived as universal medium: Lenswoman Dayanita Singh (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Pankaj Kapoor designs special dance track for Shahid - May 31, 2010
- Scientists shed new light on how our vision works - Jul 28, 2010
- Unused Chaplin manuscript found in Italy - Jun 29, 2012
- Rihanna strips for Armani ad - Sep 13, 2011
- Joe Jonas dating a model - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: arduous journey, bhavna, birth anniversary, charlie chaplin, colour version, complexion, desi, finished product, good reason, homage, hum dono, mumbai, pankaj kapoor, prasad, social misfit, suits, survival, talwar, threshold, tribute to charlie