Bhandarkar, Benegal honoured with Hindi promotion award (With Images)June 20th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Wednesday honoured filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar with Ganga Sharan Singh Award along with Shyam Benegal and Girish Karnad for their contribution to Hindi cinema.
The filmmakers were presented with the award at Rashtrapati Bhavan here. The award comprises of a certificate and a cheque of Rs.1 lakh.
“Over the years not just the audience or the industry but also the government of our country has supported and acknowledged my work. I am honoured and thankful to the HRD ministry for finding me befitting for this award,” Bhandarkar, who is known for making hard-hitting and gripping films like “Chandni Bar” and “Page 3″, said in a statement.
As many as 28 people from various walks of life were also honoured by the Kendriya Hindi Sansthan of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), as part of the Hindi Service Awards Scheme.
The Ganga Sharan Singh Award is a literary honour that the Kendriya Hindi Sansthan (Central Hindi Organisation) annually confers on writers of outstanding works in Hindi literature. It is also given to those who play an important role in promoting the Hindi language through their area of expertise.
- 'Chandni Bar', 'Fashion' to be screened in Berlin - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Chandni Bar' completes 10 years, Bhandarkar gets nostalgic - Sep 28, 2011
- Benegal remembers his 'stormy friendship' with Satyadev Dubey - Dec 27, 2011
- Kareena, Bhandarkar at the New York Indian Film Festival - May 08, 2012
- Gulzar to get lifetime award at Mumbai film fest - Sep 20, 2011
- I never lived in ivory tower, says Jnanpith winner Kambara - Sep 20, 2011
- Bollywood wakes up to women-centric themes - Dec 10, 2011
- I am not gender-biased: Bhandarkar - Aug 29, 2012
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011
- Theatre veteran Satyadev Dubey passes away (Second Lead) (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Film study should be included in school curriculum: Benegal - Mar 22, 2012
- Tom Stoppard in India Jan 23 to talk about adaptations - Jan 09, 2012
- Kareena will be a shocker in 'Heroine', says Bhandarkar - Jan 10, 2012
- Dev saab's spirit, optimism inspiring: Bhandarkar - Dec 04, 2011
- First South Asian film festival in Washington next month - May 08, 2012
Tags: awards scheme, cheque, filmmakers, ganga, girish karnad, hindi language, hindi service, hrd ministry, human resource development, lakh, literary honour, ministry of human resource, ministry of human resource development, New Delhi, president pratibha patil, promotion award, rs 1, service awards, sharan, walks of life