Betsey Johnson declares bankruptcyApril 27th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New York, April 27 (IANS) American design house Betsey Johnson LLC has filed for bankruptcy as a result of which most of the designer’s 63 boutiques will close over the next few weeks.
The company is expected to lay off 350 of staff, reports dailymail.co.uk.
Johnson, who will turn 70 in August, will remain creative director of the brand, however, and will continue to design for her moderately priced Betsey Johnson sportswear and accessories labels, which are sold in Macy’s.
The designer apparently plans to have a show during Fashion Week in September and will soon start shooting a reality show, “Betsey and Lulu”.
Johnson has made the decision with Steve Madden, founder of Steven Madden Ltd, which took over a $48.8 million loan to the company.
Madden says that the group will continue to support the Betsey Johnson brand and ensure existing orders will be produced and ship on time.
“While this particular licensee may be closing, the Betsey Johnson brand is stronger than ever, with a thriving wholesale business across a range of product categories,” Madden said.
“As the owners of the Betsey Johnson brand, we at Steve Madden remain firmly committed to Betsey Johnson - the designer, her vision and our growing wholesale business - which is up over 50 percent so far for 2012,” he added.
- Katy Perry in talks for shoe collaboration with Steve Madden - Oct 08, 2010
- Combs, Simpson design Christmas tree for charity - Nov 15, 2011
- Shirts, jackets, sofa covers sell in name of F1 - Oct 26, 2011
- Jessica Simpson's fashion line expected to make $1bn in sales next year - Dec 07, 2010
- Karl Lagerfeld to design helicopters? - Apr 07, 2012
- Corporate backing must for fashion brands: Designers - Apr 04, 2012
- Moss, Campbell to walk ramp at Olympics closing ceremony - Jul 16, 2012
- Ryan Seacrest to be axed from 'American Idol'? - Jan 08, 2012
- Barbie Apparel's first couture range for girls (With image) - Apr 03, 2012
- 'Global brands can generate jobs in India' (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- A design tribute to Steve Jobs at WIFW - Oct 09, 2011
- Anita Dongre goes crowdsourcing way to find designer - May 02, 2012
- Macys Unveils Its Black Friday Offers Finally - Nov 17, 2010
- Hathaway delays wedding for work - Apr 16, 2012
- From apparel to laptop accessories, Satya Paul explores new avenues - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: bankruptcy, betsey johnson, boutiques, creative director, fashion week, labels, licensee, lulu johnson, macy, product categories, reality show, sportswear, staff reports, steve madden, steven madden ltd, wholesale, wholesale business