Berry says sorry for anti-Semitic jokeNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
However, it was the way she started showing the photos that upset some members of the audience.
“She introduced the first photo by saying, ‘Here’s where I look like my Jewish cousin!’ - it was a picture of her with a huge, distorted nose,” the New York Post quoted an insider, as saying.
“No one laughed, and Jay nervously said, ‘I’m glad you said that and not me.’ When the show aired, they cut out her ‘Jewish’ comment and added a laugh track to the bit.”
Another guest in the audience said: “If you watch the clip, you can see Halle saying the word ‘Jewish,’ though obviously there is no audio. NBC covered her a - -. Ms. Berry should know how unbelievably inappropriate her comment was . . . She should be ashamed of herself.”
Berry has now issued a statement saying she did not mean to offend anyone by her comments.
“I so didn’t mean to offend anybody - and after the show I realized it could be seen as offensive, so I asked Jay to take it out, and he did,” she said.
“What happened was I was backstage before the show and I have three girls who are Jewish who work for me. We were going through pictures to see which ones looked silly, and one of my Jewish friends said [of the big-nose picture], ‘That could be your Jewish cousin!’ And I guess it was fresh in my mind, and it just came out of my mouth. But I didn’t mean to offend anybody. I didn’t. I didn’t mean any harm.
“It was just a lighthearted segment that was meant to make fun of myself. There was a picture where I said I looked like Monica Lewinsky and one where I said I looked like Jay. It was just supposed to be a silly segment. I am so sorry, and I apologize.” (ANI)
- The cost of getting a new nose in Asia (The Funny Side) - Aug 10, 2012
- Halle Berry fakes orgasm on The Jay Leno Show - Dec 11, 2010
- Sikh group seeks apology from Jay Leno for Golden Temple remark - Jan 25, 2012
- Jay Leno being criticized for his comments on India's Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- India objects to US TV host's joke on Golden Temple - Jan 23, 2012
- Whoopi Goldberg apologizes to New York Times - Feb 17, 2011
- Jenna Fischer is pregnant with a boy - Jul 20, 2011
- I didn't take off my undies at Elton John's bash, says Heidi Klum - Mar 07, 2011
- Levi Johnston needs to go back to school: Bristol Palin - Sep 05, 2010
- Lady Gaga gets spikes on face! - Feb 16, 2011
- Perry pierced own nose - Jun 25, 2012
- US got a good deal in spy swap: Biden - Jul 10, 2010
- Taslima whips up storm in Nepal's literary cup - Aug 22, 2011
- "Glee" Star Dianna Agron Offers Apology For Controversial GQ Magazine Photos - Oct 22, 2010
- Ben Affleck's first experience of buying condoms revealed in sex book - Mar 22, 2011