Benny Goodman’s jazz remains an inspirationJuly 31st, 2008 - 1:34 pm ICT by David M N James
Benny Goodman has come a long way to be on the limelight despite his name being all over the web.
He has been branded as charismatic and stoic. He is the iconic boy from Chicago who was the ninth child to a father of twelve, a poor Hungarian Jew immigrant. Benny earned praise for making it through and becoming a career musician with inspiring zest and voice not forgetting a charismatic influence even to his band. Benny has earned tribute with radios dedicating his music time. He played along Glenn Miller a sensational musician as well as Harry James.
He is famous for a clarinet and his appearances in top American groups. He played with the nationally known bands of big names like Ben Selvin, Ted Lewis and Isham Jones and also Red Nichlos. Goodman recorded musical soundtracks for movie shorts. The clarinet is believed to play as a soundtrack in the Charlie Chaplain movie One A. M., a comedy re-released to theaters in 1934. Benny Goodman ranks as man who made jazz what it is today through his influence and great music. Not that he created any academia for playing jazz which remains a tradition, but his role as a jazz player is a shot in the arm in the repute and retrospect of jazz.
Glen and his band was popular in the 70’s. He recorded major hits and was loved. He has his CD’s named ‘Big band-Benny Goodman-Glen Miller and Woody Herman. He was featured by singer Gene Krupa and he recorded along Krupa and Teddy Wilson. He has been featured in Steve Allen movies where Steve Allen plays Benny Goodman in such an understated manner. He has also featured in Harry James movies. His career has been a very inspiring journey through the music world.
- Jazz musicians in Delhi mix new sounds with new venues (Feature) (With images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Rajasthani touch at British queen's celebrations - Apr 28, 2012
- 'Indian rhythms, American jazz coming together' - Nov 02, 2011
- Mozart's cradle to Indian raga: Long journey for Austrian jazz band - Dec 04, 2010
- Jaipur Maharaja band to jam at Singapore Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2011
- This 'iband' creates music on their palms (With Images) - Jul 22, 2012
- Glenn Miller Orchestra To Host Live Concert - Mar 13, 2010
- Sur, saaz and rockstar: When music is Bollywood's muse - Oct 19, 2011
- Winter fest, youngsters give jazz a chance - Dec 14, 2011
- Musician Captain Beefheart dead at 69 - Dec 18, 2010
- Film songs acted as catalyst of change in India: Luke Kenny - Aug 28, 2011
- All that jazz: Warming up to Grammy awardee Larry Carlton - Dec 07, 2010
- Krishna jazz from faraway Congo (With Images) - Mar 23, 2010
- Royal Air Force connects to India with 'Chammak challo' (With image) - Mar 10, 2012
- Cinema helps one understand life, reality: Spanish filmmaker - Mar 04, 2011