Benegal remembers his ’stormy friendship’ with Satyadev DubeyDecember 27th, 2011 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 27 (IANS) Renowned filmmaker Shyam Benegal describes his 49-year-long association with late Satyadev Dubey as a “stormy friendship”. He says they worked together on six films but after “Mandi” the theatre veteran refused to work with him, though it didn’t affect their personal equation.
“We were very close friends right up to his death on Sunday. In fact, I rushed back from Delhi where I was attending parliament, for his funeral,” said Benegal.
“I came to Mumbai in 1959. We were friends from 1962 till his death. We shared a very informal relationship. We could tell each other anything without fear of offending one another. You could call our friendship stormy. I valued his comments. He, I presume, valued mine.
“We worked on six films together, from my earliest ‘Ankur’ to ‘Mandi’ in 1982. He wrote the dialogues for these films and collaborated on the scripts. My threesome of writers were Girish Karnad, Vijay Tendulkar and Satyadev Dubey. That’s how it remained until after ‘Mandi’ Dubey told me he didn’t want to work with me. I said, ‘Lump it’. And we never worked together again. But this did not affect our personal equation at all,” he added.
Benegal says that every time Dubey wrote a play, “he spoke to me about it. What Dubey did for Hindi theatre was pioneering. Before him only Prithviraj Kapoor had done so much for Hindi theatre”.
“Dubey’s was an uphill task. He took theatre out of its English-speaking elitist space and made it accessible and affordable for a Hindi-speaking audience. His plays were minimalistic and depended almost entirely on the actors for effect. Which reminds me, a lot of the acting talent that came into my cinema was recommended by Dubey.”
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011
- Satyadev Dubey had no money in his last days: Rajit Kapoor - Dec 27, 2011
- Bollywood mourns Satyadev Dubey's demise - Dec 25, 2011
- Theatre veteran Satyadev Dubey passes away (Second Lead) (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Satyadev Dubey was passionate about his craft: Big B - Dec 26, 2011
- Friends, fans mourn death of 'revolutionary' Dubey - Dec 25, 2011
- Languages are assimilating many influences : Amol Palekar - Mar 01, 2012
- Bhandarkar, Benegal honoured with Hindi promotion award (With Images) - Jun 20, 2012
- Emraan an accommodating co-star, says Bipasha (Movie Snippets) - Feb 03, 2012
- Don't review a film before its release: Javed Jafferi - May 11, 2012
- Ajay Devgn my lucky charm: Tusshar Kapoor - Feb 29, 2012
- My next not a sequel to 'Welcome To Sajjanpur': Benegal - Apr 30, 2012
- Friendship a liability in Bollywood: Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Interview) - Oct 15, 2011
- Dilip Kumar my idol and inspiration: Amitabh - Dec 11, 2011
- I was lucky to have worked with Ashok Mehta: Anil Kapoor - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: actors, ankur, audience, close friends, dialogues, dubey, english speaking, fear, films, friendship, girish karnad, informal relationship, parliament, personal equation, prithviraj kapoor, scripts, tendulkar, threesome, uphill task, veteran