BEML gets order to develop electrical multiple units for railwaysAugust 22nd, 2008 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 22 (ANI): The Railway Board has accepted the proposal of Defence Public Sector Undertaking BEML Ltd designed Stainless Steel Electrical Multiple Unit (SS EMU). These units will be built for first time in country.
The Board is placing developmental order for six rakes. These SSEMUs will be replacing the existing corten steel EMUs in a phased manner now running in Mumbai and Chennai suburbs.
The total requirement is of 3000 cars with a business potential of Rs.5000 crore in the coming years.
The Railways are operating a substantial fleet of EMUs in the Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Delhi sectors. These EMUs are made with Corten steel and are corrosion prone resulting in high maintenance cost, more down time and reduced life.
To overcome these problems, BEML had proposed introduction of Stainless Steel EMUs with improved aesthetics, pleasing interiors with increased life.
The stainless steel technology once adapted for the EMUs can be extended to the mainline EMUs also. Based on the experience gained in manufacture of state-of-the-art stainless steel Metro cars for Delhi Metro, BEML has already established the required infrastructure and is the only company having set skills for manufacture of stainless steel EMUs in the country. (ANI)
- BEML all set to roll out indigenous low cost coaches for metro railways - Jul 10, 2009
- BEML to deliver first coach to Bangalore Metro in October - Jun 21, 2010
- Tough call: Showcasing high-art stainless steel on its 100th anniversary (With images) - Mar 09, 2012
- BEML to hive off its railway business - Dec 12, 2011
- Indian Railways working on system to check collisions - Sep 14, 2011
- Texmaco's coach unit to be commissioned this fiscal - Aug 30, 2012
- Travel in high-speed double-decker from Bangalore to Chennai - Mar 14, 2012
- Central Railway to run 12-car trains from Wednesday - Nov 23, 2011
- Mixed reaction in Karnataka on rail projects for state - Mar 14, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee's largesse for Maharashtra - Feb 25, 2011
- West Bengal looks forward to a state-friendly rail budget - Jul 02, 2009
- Private firms to provide 400 water tankers in Delhi - Jul 10, 2012
- BEML head hits out at army for targeting Tatra trucks - Mar 30, 2012
- Antony says he acted on BEML irregularities - Mar 30, 2012
- Bharat Earth Movers to make multi-speed rail coaches - Jul 09, 2009