Beatles Piano Up For Sale At Memorabilia AuctionAugust 3rd, 2010 - 7:33 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
August 3, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): The Abbey Roads studio has decided to auction off the Challen upright piano which had been used by the Beatles as well as the Pink Floyd. The auction is expected to take place later this month.
The piano for sale has already garnered interest and is expected to fetch as much as £150,000. It had been initially bought for £250 when it was brand new. The auctioneer Bonhams also revealed that the piano was scarred with cigarette burns and discolored with coffee stains.
The Challen piano had been used in quite a few of the Beatles music tracks including the ‘Paperback Writer’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’. According to the Reuters the same piano had also featured in a couple of Pink Floyd hits as well.
The piano had been used extensively from 1964 onwards until the 1980s when it was used no longer. Stephen Maycock, a consultant with the auctioneers said that it is difficult to pin point the exact tracks the piano had been used on. He however added that some of the tracks from the Beatles could nevertheless be identified. The results from the research done on the piano and the Beatles can actually help in this regard. It was the Pink Floyd tracks that were difficult to identify.
The North London studio, Abbey Roads had become synonymous with the Beatles who used it for most of their recordings which spanned more than a decade.
The memorabilia auction has now been scheduled for 15th August and will feature a number of other items as well. The event is expected to take place at the Goodwood Vintage Festival in Chichester, South England.
- Beatles legendary piano up for sale, asking price is 150,000 Pounds - Aug 03, 2010
- Piano Played By Beatles Goes For Auction On August 15 - Aug 14, 2010
- Piano played by Beatles on sale - Jul 21, 2010
- Piano Played By The Beatles And Pink Floyd Up For Auction - Aug 03, 2010
- Jackie's Jewels To Go Under The Hammer - Aug 11, 2010
- The Beatles' grand piano up for grabs - Jul 21, 2010
- Techno Pink Floyd anyone? - Aug 20, 2010
- Abbey Road Studio Possibly For Sale - Feb 17, 2010
- Beatles recording studio at Abbey Road up for sale - Feb 17, 2010
- Beatles' Abbey Road studio on sale - Feb 17, 2010
- Spitting Image puppets of Lady Thatcher and her Cabinet up for grabs - Dec 03, 2010
- Andrew Lloyd Webber eyeing Abbey Road studios - Feb 20, 2010
- Abbey Road studios is now a listed building - Feb 24, 2010
- Moss nude portrait sells for 16,250 pounds - Nov 20, 2011
- Macca's memorabilia to go under the hammer - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: 15th august, abbey, auctioneer, auctioneers, beatles, beatles music, challen piano, chichester, cigarette burns, coffee stains, london studio, men at work, north london, paperback writer, pen men, pink floyd, reuters, south england, upright piano, vintage festival