BBC to make contemporary version of Sherlock HolmesDecember 20th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 20 (ANI): The BBC is set to make a modern-day take on the life of Sherlock Holmes.
Set in modern-day London, the contemporary version will star Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
Freeman, star of The Office, will play Dr Watson and Benedict Cumberbatch will star as the famous sleuth.
“Our Sherlock is a dynamic superhero in a modern world, an arrogant, genius sleuth driven by a desire to prove himself cleverer than the perpetrator and the police - everyone in fact, The Telegraph quoted Piers Wenger, Head of Drama at BBC Wales, as saying.
The screenplay will be written by Steven Moffat.
“Everything that matters about Holmes and Watson is the same. Conan Doyle’’s original stories were never about frock coats and gaslight. They”re about brilliant detection, dreadful villains and blood-curdling crimes - and, frankly, the hell with the crinoline, Moffat said.
“Other detectives have cases, Sherlock Holmes has adventures and that’’s what matters, he added.
An hour-long pilot episode, featuring Rupert Graves as Inspector Lestrade, will be aired in the autumn on BBC One and a full series will follow if it proves popular with viewers.
Shooting begins next month in Wales. (ANI)
- Sherlock Holmes to police modern London's mean streets in new BBC series - Mar 22, 2010
- Sherlock Holmes fever grips Britain's fashion market - Aug 18, 2010
- Cumberbatch to star in 'The Simpsons' - Jul 06, 2012
- Sherlock's second run to begin on BBC One - Aug 30, 2010
- Cumberbatch not dating Russian model - Sep 03, 2012
- Sherlock Holmes star to set 'Have I Got News For You' questions - Oct 02, 2010
- Sherlock Holmes returns - from Nepal - Jun 18, 2010
- Anthony Horowitz vows to keep Sherlock Holmes 'exactly' the same - Jan 19, 2011
- James Bond, Sherlock Holmes to be resurrected in new novels - Jan 18, 2011
- 'Sherlock Holmes - A Game of Shadows' predictable, but witty and intelligent (IANS Movie Review) - Dec 30, 2011
- 'Sherlock Holmes' was grumpy: Downey Jr. - Aug 29, 2011
- Martin Freeman shuns 'Hobbit' for 'Sherlock' - Sep 07, 2010
- 'Star Trek' sequel gets title? - Sep 11, 2012
- Jude Law "happy" to play reinvented Dr Watson in 'Sherlock Holmes' - Dec 24, 2009
- Making Sherlock Holmes gay could land Guy Ritchie in trouble - Aug 04, 2009
Tags: bbc, bbc wales, benedict cumberbatch, conan doyle, crimes, detectives, dr watson, frock coats, holmes and watson, inspector lestrade, martin freeman, perpetrator, piers, pilot episode, rupert graves, screenplay, sherlock holmes, steven moffat, superhero, villains