BBC prepares for the Queen’s death!October 30th, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 30 (IANS) BBC journalists are being imparted special training about reporting the Queen’s death — when it happens — so that any possibility of committing an embarrassing gaffe can be avoided.
BBC faced huge criticism in the wake of the Queen Mother’s death in 2002 after veteran Peter Sissons went on air in a grey suit and burgundy tie, the Daily Mail reported.
Staff at the organisation’s College Of Journalism have been shown mock videos featuring Huw Edwards announcing that the Queen has passed away.
A BBC source told the Sunday Times: “Like all news organisations, the BBC has plans in place.
“We provide training to ensure staff understand what would be expected.”
Staff were informed of the change in BBC schedule that will coincide with the Queen’s death.
Following the announcement about her death, the national anthem will be screened in the backdrop whilst television screens display a picture of the royal.
BBC chiefs hope the Royal funeral training will avoid a repeat of Sissons’s 2002 faux pas.
Later, the BBC received numerous complaints from audiences over the handling of the announcement, worsened by rival broadcaster ITV, where presenters adhered to the traditional black tie attire for the broadcast.
The BBC has since changed its policy and reporters will be instructed to wear dark coloured suits, with the male broadcasters in white shirts and black ties as a mark or respect.
As the funeral is expected to last 12 days following the Queen’s demise, the BBC will suspend all comedy shows across its channels until after the burial.
- BBC staff get trained to announce queen's death - Nov 01, 2011
- Sarah Brown reveals embarrassing royal faux pas in memoir - Feb 21, 2011
- Prince William's wedding to be 'the biggest TV event in history' - Nov 17, 2010
- New Zealand TV faces flak for Showing Diana film - Jan 19, 2010
- David Cameron to 'shun morning suit tails' at royal wedding - Apr 19, 2011
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- BBC under fire over 'Queen is dead' joke - May 18, 2010
- Hillary Clinton just made the Queen a week older! - Jun 05, 2010
- Royal wedding may be broadcast in 3-D - Feb 06, 2011
- Hollywood Fashion Blunders Of 2010 - Dec 27, 2010
- British queen's 60-year crown gala connects to India with mega party (With Image) - Jun 04, 2012
- No notice to Waqar over his T20 replacement faux pas: PCB - Apr 22, 2010
- Pattinson new face of Gucci? - Aug 16, 2012
- Krishna's UN faux pas has embarrassed India: BJP - Feb 12, 2011
- Fifa, World Cup organizer considering Vuvuzela ban - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: backdrop, bbc journalists, black tie, black ties, broadcaster, burgundy, college of journalism, daily mail, demise, gaffe, grey suit, huw edwards, itv, national anthem, oct 30, queen mother, s college, sissons, television screens, white shirts