BBC criticised over news coverage of Jade Goody’’s deathMarch 25th, 2009 - 4:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 25 (ANI): The BBC has come under fire over the extensive news coverage of Jade Goody’’s death.
The broadcaster was criticised over the coverage of the story as 69 official and many online complaints poured in.
Goody, 27, died of cervical cancer last Sunday.
Peter Horrocks, the head of the BBC’’s multimedia newsroom, however, justified the coverage, insisting that it was justified both on the grounds of the level of public interest in the reality star, and the “awareness of cervical cancer” that her illness raised.
But many people felt the story should not have been the lead story on the news bulletin on The Andrew Marr Show and were critical that the story was covered so prominently across all its television and radio networks and across its international news services including the World Service.
“I”m also extremely sorry that she’’s died, but I really don”t think the BBC should make it their first major story on the News,” The Telegraph quoted a comment, as stating.
Another added: “This leads the BBC news page and is the first thing you see when clicking onto the BBC website, it is all rather pathetic.
“She is dead, it is sad, but no sadder than the many young people who died a tragic death overnight.”
Horrocks acknowledged that Goody was a “divisive” figure.
Writing in the BBC’’s Editors” blog, he said: “Goody became a phenomenon, both in terms of the interest she inspired in the public and in the effect that her sad death had on awareness of cervical cancer.
“To make a legitimate news judgement about our coverage, we applied the same criteria as we usually use: should we report this, and if so, how? Knowing that there was a possibility that Jade would die soon, we talked about whether this was a story we would lead on in the absence of other significant news.” (ANI)
- Jade Goody's cancer fight boosts screenings among women - Sep 29, 2010
- Jade Goody effect behind rise in cancer screenings, say docs - Feb 17, 2009
- Goody's cancerous end prompts 20-pct leap in Scotland smear tests - Aug 26, 2009
- Jade Goody's mum marks daughter's first death anniversary - Mar 22, 2010
- British reality TV star Jade Goody dies - Mar 22, 2009
- Jade Goody's ex says kids still talk about her - Feb 09, 2010
- Cervical cancer leading cancer-killer among Indian women - Mar 28, 2012
- Jack Tweed and Mark Wright appear in court - Feb 23, 2011
- Iran blocks BBC over Egypt coverage - Feb 11, 2011
- Jade Goody's Mum Jackiey Budden Recalls Her Attempted Suicide - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Negligent' NHS blamed for Jade Goody's death - Mar 20, 2010
- Russell Brand's touching tribute to Jade Goody - Mar 28, 2009
- Jade Goody mum's grave vigil - Dec 24, 2009
- Bollywood, fashion world unite against cervical cancer - Jul 01, 2012
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: andrew marr, bbc, bbc news, bbc website, broadcaster, cervical cancer, criticised, international news services, jade goody, judgement, last sunday, lead story, multimedia newsroom, news bulletin, phenomenon, public interest, radio networks, sad death, telegraph, tragic death