BBC comes under fire for broadcasting film containing nudity at lunchtimeMay 30th, 2012 - 7:18 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
London, May 30 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The BBC has received numerous complaints for broadcasting at 1.45 pm a 2004 Hollywood version of Shakespeare’s ‘The Merchant Of Venice’, which features nudity. The film was shown on BBC Two on Saturday afternoon.
The film, starring Al Pacino and Jeremy Irons, contained a scene of a man molesting a woman in a brothel. Just two minutes after the start of the film, a woman appears topless while walking down some steps.
The film was watched on Saturday by 250,000 viewers. The controversial play Merchant Of Venice has also been criticized throughout the years for its alleged anti-semitism.
The network has already received four official complaints over the broadcast of the movie, stating that the showing of the film on an afternoon was unacceptable. The BBC has stated that they believed the movie was acceptable for a daytime audience.
The incident comes after ‘A Scandal In Belgravia’, a ‘Sherlock’ episode that included a number of topless scenes of Lara Pulver playing the role of Irene Adler, has received more than 2.5 million views, becoming the most watched content on the BBC’s iPlayer feature.
- Rachel happy after revisiting her role in 'Sherlock Holmes 2' - May 18, 2011
- Al Pacino honoured at Venice film fest - Sep 06, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Royal wedding audience tops only an episode of 'Only Fools And Horses' - May 02, 2011
- Al Pacino heads for 'Arbitrage' - Nov 03, 2010
- Al Pacino will cameo on Modern Family - Aug 30, 2010
- Al Pacino to star in new adaptation of King Lear - May 15, 2010
- Label dumps fashion legend John Galliano after arrest - Feb 26, 2011
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- Eight girls rescued from Delhi brothels - Apr 28, 2012
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- Galliano didn't use racist remarks: Lawyer - Feb 28, 2011
- BBC prepares for the Queen's death! - Oct 30, 2011
- Jackman breaks theatre records - Nov 02, 2011
- Rachel Zoe upset with Galliano's racist remarks - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: 5 million, al pacino, anti semitism, audience, bbc, broadcast, brothel, hollywood version, iplayer, irene adler, jeremy irons, lunchtime, merchant of venice, nudity, pulver, saturday afternoon, scandal, shakespeare, sherlock, two minutes