Baz Luhrmann, A.R. Rahman thinking of working togetherFebruary 1st, 2010 - 12:13 pm ICT by ANI
Nevada (US), Feb 1 (ANI): Oscar nominated Australian film director-actor-producer-writer Baz Luhrmann’s dream is to make a movie in India, according to reports.
During his recent India trip, he reportedly had lunch with Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan and his family and met Oscar winner musician A. R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire), whom he calls a “friend” and “maestro”. After meeting Rahman, Luhrmann reportedly expressed that they were thinking of jointly creating some work.
Luhrmann apparently seemed to be impressed about how much Bollywood offered in a single movie. Oscar awardee Satyajit Ray (Pather Panchali) had reportedly left a great influence on Luhrmann, 47, who claims to have seen Oscar nominated Lagaan (Ashutosh Gowarikar).
During this India visit, Luhrmann and Archibald Prize winner Australian portrait painter Vincent Fantauzzo reportedly painted a dance-themed mural on the wall of “le Sutra-the Indian art hotel” in Mumbai, claimed to be India’s first art hotel.
Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed, welcoming Luhrmann for this art-exploration trip of India, urged other world filmmakers that instead of just focusing on poverty and crime, they should also explore many finer and deeper things India offered. Planet’s most multidimensional country, fast growing economy, emerging world power, largest democracy, etc.; India had snowcapped mountains, palm-fringed and sun-washed beaches, glorious temples, colorful festivals, rich philosophy and spirituality, abundant historical sites, wildlife safaris, recharging treks, historic trade routes, cultural wealth, etc. Zed, who is chairperson of Indo-American Leadership Confederation, added.
Presently Luhrmann is reportedly planning to film “The Great Gatsby” (1925 American novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald) , which has already been filmed four times starting with Herbert Brenon’s 1926 production, which is expected to go to floor this year. (ANI)
- Baz Luhrmann to paint a mural on Mumbai wall - Jan 25, 2010
- Luhrmann describes his recent India trip as "Indo-Australian peace initiative" - Feb 14, 2010
- Indo-Americans urge Ang Lee to handle 'Life of Pi' with cultural sensitivity - Oct 31, 2010
- David Lynch to shoot film about TM guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India - Nov 18, 2009
- Hindi film nominated for Oscar - Feb 04, 2010
- Indo-Americans welcome lifting ban on Satyajit Ray's documentary on Sikkim - Sep 20, 2010
- John Travolta feels Hollywood needs Bollywood - Oct 14, 2010
- Hollywood bigwigs descending on India - May 27, 2009
- Preparations on for Oscar winner Rahman's live concert in Muscat - Jan 04, 2010
- Aussies consider A.R. Rahman's upcoming gig "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" - Dec 09, 2009
- Rahman is amazing, says friend Baz Luhrmann - Feb 01, 2010
- Only one 'Asia-focused' entry won at Oscars - Mar 08, 2010
- Barrie Osborne to produce Shekhar Kapur's 'Paani' - Feb 22, 2010
- Indo-Americans request Academy to enroll more members from Bollywood - Oct 12, 2009
- Oscar winner Rahman to undertake "Jai Ho World Tour" in summer - Feb 16, 2010
Tags: american novel, american statesman, archibald prize winner, art exploration, australian film director, baz luhrmann, colorful festivals, exploration trip, f scott fitzgerald, great gatsby, herbert brenon, india trip, india visit, indo american, pather panchali, poverty and crime, satyajit ray, snowcapped mountains, wildlife safaris, world filmmakers