Barrymore, Lange deny row over Emmy nomination for Grey GardensApril 25th, 2009 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
New York, April 25 (ANI): Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange have trashed reports of a spat over the forthcoming Emmy Awards nominations for their work in Grey Gardens.
The two stars had been rumoured to have had their differences over who had the claim to the Best Actress nomination.
HBO chiefs were said to have pitched in for Barrymore, leaving Lange to court the Best Supporting actress category - allegedly leading to a row between the two actresses.
But Lange refused the compromise, according to a source.
“Her immediate reaction was that she’s won two Oscars, and that she has equal screen time to Barrymore,” the New York Post quoted an insider as saying.
“She felt she wasn’t a supporting character in the film, and that it’d be dishonest and a manipulation of votes. She didn’t want a part of it,” the insider added.
Finally, HBO decided that both would run for the lead category.
A spokeswoman for HBO said: “HBO would never presume to dictate which category an actor chooses for award submissions. We do engage in a dialogue with actors and filmmakers to facilitate the process, but the actor’s decision is always final.”
Lange’s rep also added: “Prior to the decision being made, there was lots of discussion between Drew, the studio and Jessica. Obviously people wanted a scenario where everyone was happy. At the end of the day, HBO was the one who looked at the screentime and made the call.” (ANI)
- Jessica Lange Wins Emmy For "Grey Gardens" - Sep 21, 2009
- "Glee" And "The Pacific" Dominate Emmy Award Nominations - Jul 09, 2010
- Actress Kyra Sedgwick Takes Home Emmy Award For Lead Actress In Drama - Aug 30, 2010
- Aniston, Timberlake earn Emmy nominations - Jul 17, 2009
- 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards: Nominees & Winners - Aug 30, 2010
- 2009 Emmy Award nominations full list - Jul 17, 2009
- Posthumous Emmy nod for Farrah Fawcett - Jul 18, 2009
- Diaz helps Barrymore with wedding dress - Jun 01, 2012
- 'Rockstar' leads Apsara Award nominations - Jan 20, 2012
- 'The Artist' gets 12 nods, leads BAFTA nominations - Jan 17, 2012
- Tina Fey Grateful For Winning Nominations In Emmy - Jul 09, 2010
- Drew Barrymore planning to convert to Judaism - Jan 27, 2012
- Newlyweds Anna Paquin And Stephen Moyer To Present At Emmy Awards - Aug 24, 2010
- Anil Ambani's Reliance DreamWorks bags 11 Oscar nominations - Jan 25, 2012
- 'Mad Men' best drama, 'Modern Family' best comedy at Emmys - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: actress category, actress nomination, award submissions, best actress, best supporting actress, chiefs, drew barrymore, emmy awards nominations, filmmakers, grey gardens, hbo, jessica lange, new york post, oscars, screen time, screentime, spat, spokeswoman, trashed, two stars