Bangladeshi journalists go on hour-long strikeFebruary 27th, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 27 (IANS) Journalists across Bangladesh observed an hour-long pen-down strike Monday to demand the arrest of the killers of a journalist couple, slain two weeks ago.
The token strike started at 12 noon and ended at 1 p.m., reported Xinhua.
Journalist unions in Bangladesh announced the plan last week to press the authorities to arrest the killers of Meherun Runi, senior reporter of ATN Bangla television, and her husband Sagar Sarowar, news editor of Maasranga Television, who were killed in their home Feb 11.
During the strike, many journalists sported black badges and ribbons.
Most TV news channels scrolled on the screen that they express solidarity with the strike while re-broadcasting old shows and suspending many scheduled live programmes.
During the strike, most Bangla and English newspapers and agencies did not upload any new news item.
Leaders of Bangladesh’s journalist unions said they would continue to protest the delay in police investigation and the law enforcers’ inability to unearth the motive of the killings and to arrest those responsible.
Investigators say they have managed to unearth the motive behind the murder of the journalist couple.
“We’re almost certain about the motive behind the murder, but it will not be wise to disclose it at this moment for the sake of investigation,” said Monirul Islam, a police official.
- Bangladesh journalists agitate over couple's killing - Mar 01, 2012
- Bangladeshi journalists' bodies exhumed after over two months - Apr 26, 2012
- Bangladesh journalists protest couple's killing - Feb 12, 2012
- Journalist couple stabbed to death in Dhaka (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Journalist couple killed in Dhaka - Feb 11, 2012
- Anna's protest affects Orissa courts, schools - Aug 17, 2011
- Bombs hurled at Bangladesh chief justice's house - Nov 19, 2010
- Seven arrested for journalist Dey's murder, motive unclear (Third Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Three Mujib killers on death row seek clemency (Lead) - Jan 09, 2010
- Mumbai media takes credit for arrest of Dey killers - Jun 28, 2011
- Two Pakistanis killed four women, sliced their bodies (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Killers had no idea who Dey was: police - Jun 27, 2011
- Bangladesh stock market closed after collapse - Jan 10, 2011
- Mumbai police chief denies his officer, Dey killing linked (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Woman scribe arrested for Dey killing (Night Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: badges, english newspapers, home feb, investigators, journalist, journalists, killers, killings, law enforcers, motive, news channels, news editor, news item, police investigation, police official, ribbons, solidarity, token strike, tv news, xinhua