Bangalore lawyers assault mediapersonsMarch 2nd, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 2 (IANS) A group of lawyers in Bangalore Friday assaulted mediapersons, including women, who had gathered to report on mining baron and former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhana Reddy’s court appearance in connection with an illegal mining case.
A TV cameraman of a Kannada channel was injured in the head while several other mediapersons suffered blows as lawyers pounced on them when they were coming out of the court of additional civil and sessions judge B.M. Angadi where Reddy appeared.
An OB van of a Kannada channel and several cars were damaged when stones were hurled at them. It was not clear whether the stone missiles were from the lawyers or from the onlookers at the court premises which is usually crowded.
With Reddy being brought there, a group of his supporters had also gathered at the complex.
Police resorted to a cane charge and lobbed teargas shells as stones were also thrown at them.
The assault was apparently in protest against media coverage of a lawyers’ agitation in Bangalore in January which had led to a massive traffic gridlock in the central business district for over seven hours. The lawyers had blocked one of the main avenues in the city centre protesting the police assault on a colleague.
Protesting the lawyers’ attack on them, mediapersons Friday staged a sit-in at the court premises demanding immediate arrest of the culprits.
Bangalore city police commissioner B.G. Jyothiprakash Mirji arrived at the spot to pacify angry mediapersons.
Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda, who was attending a function several km away, told reporters that he has not been informed of the incident and would take it up with Law Minister S. Suresh Kumar.
The January agitation of lawyers had come in for severe criticism from people as well Governor H.R. Bhardwaj, a former union law minister.
- Lawyers assault media persons, students in Bangalore (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Lawyers assault media persons, judicial probe ordered (Second Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Four lawyers held for attack on Bangalore journalists (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Karnataka lawyers to boycott courts Monday - Mar 04, 2012
- Lawyers' protest clogs central Bangalore - Jan 17, 2012
- No bail to mining baron Reddy - Mar 12, 2012
- Mining baron Reddy in CBI custody till March 12 - Mar 02, 2012
- Bangalore court summons wife of jailed mining baron Reddy - Jul 02, 2012
- No bail for mining baron Reddy - May 30, 2012
- Bangalore lawyers face criminal cases for traffic chaos - Jan 18, 2012
- 11 terror suspects held, catastrophe averted (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Karnataka policemen protest assault by lawyers - Mar 22, 2012
- Karnataka officer's murder case solved, four held: Police - Jun 07, 2012
- 11 terror suspects held, 'catastrophe' averted: Karnataka Police (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Police assure protection to Karnataka Lokayukta officials - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: angadi, central business district, chief minister, city police, court appearance, court premises, culprits, gali, gowda, karnataka minister, massive traffic, onlookers, police assault, police commissioner, s suresh, seven hours, suresh kumar, traffic gridlock, tv cameraman, union law minister