Banderas to play Picasso in ‘33 Dias’February 20th, 2012 - 8:35 am ICT by IANS
Madrid, Feb 20 (IANS) Spanish actor Antonio Banderas will play Pablo Picasso in Carlos Saura’s upcoming “33 Dias” (33 Days).The $7.9 million film will focus on the painter’s emotional turmoil while he worked on his masterpiece “Guernica”.
“33 dias” refers to the time Picasso spent on the mural, which captured his reaction to the destruction of Basque town of Guernica in 1937 by the Nazi Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War, reports variety.com.
Picasso “is a character that has pursued me for a long time and I always rejected. He deserves a lot of respect because I am from Malaga, and I was born four blocks from where he was born”, Banderas said in an interview published Sunday by Spanish newspaper El Pais.
To be made in French and Spanish, the film will go on floors next summer in Paris and Guernica.
Carlos Saura has teamed up with Spanish producer Elias Querejeta for the film.
Saura and Querejeta penned the script alongside French writer Louis-Charles Sirjacq.
Budgeted over six million euro ($7.9 million), the picture will be produced by Bilbao-based Idem 4 and co-produced by Cinevedas, which has offices in France, Canada and India.
Triple Academy Award-winning cinematographer Vittorio Storaro is in advanced talks to join the project.
In the film, Saura shows how painting “Guernica” proved near salvation for Picasso at a moment of personal crisis. It also focuses on Picasso’s relationship with his lover, French artist Dora Maar.
- Trailer for Antonio Banderas film appears on web - May 09, 2011
- Antonio Banderas' firm inks deal for his next two films - May 13, 2011
- Mexico has special place in my heart: Banderas - Feb 03, 2012
- Banderas lends voice to 3D animated film - Apr 06, 2012
- `Nobody better than Banderas to depict passion' - Aug 12, 2011
- Fight child sexual exploitation: Banderas - Feb 05, 2012
- Kidman to play Grace Kelly? - Apr 07, 2012
- Ryan Reynolds to star in 'Highlander' remake - May 21, 2012
- Hugh Jackman to star in 'Les Miserables'? - Jun 16, 2011
- 271 Picasso works found with French couple - Jun 14, 2011
- Antonio Banderas working on Spanish animation feature - Nov 09, 2009
- DiCaprio, father making film on Kennedy assassination - Nov 20, 2010
- New exhibition to show Picasso's feminist side - Mar 28, 2010
- Hollywood stars Hayek, Banderas shatter stereotypes - Oct 28, 2011
- Tom Hanks to produce new Kennedy film - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: academy award, actor antonio banderas, antonio banderas, bilbao, carlos saura, cinematographer vittorio storaro, dora maar, elias querejeta, emotional turmoil, four blocks, france canada, french artist, french writer, luftwaffe, pablo picasso, personal crisis, spanish actor, spanish civil war, summer in paris, war reports