Balki ’s next a comedy with Big BJanuary 13th, 2010 - 1:10 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
Subhash K Jha
Balki has braked his plans of his next feature film until his wife Gauri Shinde whom Balki met in the advertising world, makes her first feature.
“She isn’t going to rush with her script. And I’m willing to wait,” says the director who just missed the Screen popular awards for the best director and the best film which went to Raj Kumar Hirani’s 3 Idiots instead of Paa.
Ask Balki if he cares In fact he didn’t even want to attend the awards.
“In all these years in advertising I never went for awards function for excellence in ad-making. Naturally I’d extend the same attitude to filmmaking. However, Mr. Bachchan and Abhishek wanted me to accompany them for the Screen awards so I went. It was….fun! I was thrilled for Amitji, Vidya Balan, the child artiste who played Vishnu and Arundhati Nag.”
As for Balki missing out on the awards for best director and best movie, he shrugs, “It just means more people saw 3 Idiots than Paa which I gladly accept. I saw 3 Idiots too and had a good time. I thought Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor were fantastic.”
Balki is in fact thinking of working with Kareena, after having extracted such outstanding work from Tabu in Cheeni Kum and Vidya Balan in Paa. “I’d also love to work with Deepika Padukone,” says Balki enthusiastically.
Since the Big B will be in his next film, would it be Deepika opposite to the actor?
“Why not?” shoots back Balki. “It all depends on how far you stretch the boundaries of conventionality in cinema. For me there’s no point in making feature films if I don’t push the envelope. I might as well continue with making ads.”
After two hugely unconventional successes Balki is in no mood to sit on his laurels. He has already started work on his next film, a comedy written for the Big B in mind.
Shedding light on the laughter that would emanate from his third feature film, Balki says, “Cheeni Kum and Paa were both humorous takes on what people saw as serious issues. But I never set out to make issue-based films. They just happened. I just want to entertain the audience intelligently. My comedy won’t be slapstick or a situational. It would be a very specific situation and theme targeted at bringing out the amusing side of a particular aspect of our life.”
- Balki puts his next film on hold for his wife - Jan 13, 2010
- Feature film not without tips from Balki: Gauri Shinde - Jul 04, 2012
- Balki to shoot his next with Big B at year-end (Movie Snippets) (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Sridevi, Kareena to clash at box office; Balki unperturbed - Jul 06, 2012
- This should have been Bachchan's 25th National Award: Balki - Sep 16, 2010
- Balki makes 'Bbuddah...' promos, Big B ecstatic - Jun 19, 2011
- Amitabh starrer 'Paa' to release on Children's Day - Sep 04, 2009
- What keeps Sridevi glowing at 49? - Aug 31, 2012
- Unusual pairings: The new recipe in Bollywood - Jun 19, 2012
- '3 Idiots' triumphs at IIFA; Vidya, Kareena are best actresses (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- 'English Vinglish' written with Sridevi in mind: R.Balki - Jun 05, 2012
- Movie Review - Paa (2009) - Dec 04, 2009
- Let music do the talking this Valentine's Day - Feb 11, 2012
- Simpleton to sexy siren: Vidya Balan goes ooh la la! - Aug 31, 2011
- This Children's Day Little Amitabh Bachchan comes with Paa - Sep 04, 2009
Tags: aamir khan, abhishek, balki, best director, best film, cheeni kum, child artiste, deepika padukone, feature film, feature films, good time, kareena kapoor, laughter, laurels, mr bachchan, saw 3, screen awards, shinde, subhash k jha, vidya balan