Bahamas senator accused in Travolta ”extortion plot” resignsJanuary 26th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, January 26 (ANI): The Bahamas senator, who was taken into custody over an extortion plot targeting John Travolta, has quit her post, even as she vowed to clear her name.
Travolta was said to have become a victim of the extortion attempt over the death of his 16-year-old son Jett, who died from a seizure during a family holiday in the Bahamas on January 2.
The actor and his wife Kelly Preston had alleged that two blackmailers threatened to publish a photo of their teenager as he lay struggling for his life unless they were paid “millions of dollars.”
Officials had held two well-known Bahamian citizens, Pleasant Bridgewater, an island attorney and lawmaker, and Obie Wilchcombe, the island’’s ex-Minister of Tourism and a friend of the celebrity couple, for questioning.
An ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne had also been quizzed by the police.
And now, Bridgewater has resigned from her post, insisting upon her innocence and claiming her involvement had been misconstrued.
“How these innocent actions can be so misconstrued, so perversely twisted to mean something other than it was, is a mystery,” the Daily Star quoted her as saying.
Meanwhile, Wilchcombe has also protested charges against him, telling Us Weekly: “This is ridiculous and absurd. The Travoltas are suffering, it’’s just outright foolish.
Never did I ask for anything, no one can say that. We had a friend in my country who lost a son. It was one single individual (who tried to take advantage of the family), the Bahamian people have been very kind to the Travoltas.” (ANI)
- John Travolta extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Bahamas Police gets hold of tapes in Travoltas PS18m extortion attempt - Jan 26, 2009
- Travolta friend accused in ''extortion plot'' insists innocence - Jan 26, 2009
- I am the real victim, says alleged Travolta extortionist - Sep 16, 2010
- Travolta listed as a witness in extortion trial - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta blackmail saga continues in court - Oct 15, 2009
- Details of Travolta extortion plot revealed - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta drops extortion charges - Sep 07, 2010
- Suspect in Travolta extortion trial released on bail - Feb 18, 2009
- John Travolta Drops Extortion Case Against Bridgewater & Lightborne Due to Stress - Sep 07, 2010
- Travolta extortion trial may get fast-tracked - Feb 12, 2009
- Travolta extortion plot: Three held - Jan 24, 2009
- Travolta Extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Travolta refused medical aid for dying son - Sep 23, 2009
- Travolta bids for US trial - Oct 24, 2009
Tags: ambulance driver, bridgewater, celebrity couple, daily star, extortion attempt, extortion plot, family holiday, innocence, innocent actions, island attorney, jett, john travolta, kelly preston, lawmaker, minister of tourism, obie, quizzed, seizure, travoltas, wife kelly