Bahamas Police gets hold of tapes in Travoltas PS18m extortion attemptJanuary 26th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, January 26 (ANI): Bahamas Police have reportedly got hold of the recordings of plotters in a 18-million-pound extortion attempt targeting John Travolta, following the death of his 16-year-old son Jett.
The videos were reportedly being used to quiz two well-known Bahamian citizens and a paramedic for their alleged involvement in the plot.
The actor and his wife Kelly Preston had claimed that blackmailers threatened to publish a photo of the teenager as he lay struggling for his life, and make false claims unless they were paid “millions of dollars”.
Officials had hauled in Pleasant Bridgewater, an island attorney and lawmaker and Obie Wilchcombe, the island’’s ex-Minister of Tourism and a friend of the celebrity couple, for questioning.
While both Bridgewater and Lightbourne insisted on their innocence, the police also probed ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne.
Travoltas representatives allegedly taped the gang as they negotiated to around 11 million pounds, and confirmed the link to the tragedy.
Regrettably in a time of such terrible grief, there are often a few individuals who attempt to make false claims in hopes of making millions of dollars, the Daily Star quoted a statement from Travoltas legal team as saying.
Jett had died following a seizure during a family holiday in the Bahamas on January 2, after having suffered from rare heart condition Kawasaki Disease. (ANI)
- Travolta listed as a witness in extortion trial - Jan 28, 2009
- Travolta friend accused in ''extortion plot'' insists innocence - Jan 26, 2009
- Suspect in Travolta extortion trial released on bail - Feb 18, 2009
- Travolta extortion trial may get fast-tracked - Feb 12, 2009
- Bahamas detains suspects in attempted Travolta extortion - Jan 24, 2009
- John Travolta extortion case dropped - Sep 07, 2010
- Bahamas senator accused in Travolta ''extortion plot'' resigns - Jan 26, 2009
- I am the real victim, says alleged Travolta extortionist - Sep 16, 2010
- Details of Travolta extortion plot revealed - Jan 28, 2009
- John Travolta drops extortion charges - Sep 07, 2010
- John Travolta Drops Extortion Case Against Bridgewater & Lightborne Due to Stress - Sep 07, 2010
- Travolta extortion plot: Three held - Jan 24, 2009
- John Travolta's extortion retrial date set - Jan 29, 2010
- Travolta refused medical aid for dying son - Sep 23, 2009
- John Travolta blackmail saga continues in court - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: ambulance driver, bahamas police, bridgewater, celebrity couple, daily star, extortion attempt, family holiday, island attorney, john travolta, kawasaki disease, kelly preston, lawmaker, lightbourne, minister of tourism, obie, paramedic, plotters, rare heart condition, seizure, wife kelly