Bachchans present ‘Madhushala’ in a new bottleNovember 29th, 2009 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 29 (IANS) When megastar Amitabh Bachchan and other members of his family took to the podium to recite from Harivansh Rai Bachchan’s ‘Madhushala - The House of Wine’, commemorating his 102nd birth anniversary, nostalgia was in the air as the book was launched in a new avatar.
First published in 1933-34, the book is now designed in a format that contains original poems along with their English translation, interspersed with illustrations of paintings done by Namrita Bachchan, daughter of Amitabh’s brother Ajitabh.
Actor Abhishek Bachchan said at the launch of the book Saturday that the book was not a revised version of the original, but a translation.
“It’s wonderful that my cousin Namrita has illustrated the ‘Madhushala’ and it’s wonderful to get the third generation of Bachchans to contribute,” Abhishek said.
Amitabh revealed that this book was his wife Jaya Bachchan’s idea.
“It was Jaya’s idea that if the book is compiled in a way where one page has the original poems and in the corresponding page the translation of the same, then this generation would love to read it,” Amitabh said.
Speaking to reporters, Jaya said: “This is the reproduction of the book ‘The House of Wine’, which was formerly written by Marjourie Bolton on the works of Shri Harivansh Rai Bachchhan.”
Some translations have also been done by Ram Swaroop Vyas.
Almost every member of the Bachchan family recited Harivansh Rai Bachchan’s select poems on the occasion.
Actors Om Puri, Rahul Bose and Ashutosh Rana and screenwriter Prasoon Joshi were among others present at the function.
- Richness of our language getting lost: Amitabh Bachchan (Interview) - Aug 11, 2011
- Great music lost under modern sounds: Big B - Mar 25, 2012
- Big B releases reproduction of his father's poetry in Mumbai - Nov 29, 2009
- Big B to record father's work in his voice? - Jan 20, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan to sing the original Madhushala - Feb 12, 2010
- Big B's grand plans to celebrate father's 101st birth anniversary - Nov 02, 2009
- On dad's 9th death anniversary, Big B misses him - Jan 18, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan to record the original version of Madhushala - Mar 02, 2010
- Break in at Big B's house - Jul 22, 2012
- Break in at Bachchan home (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan wishes to go on family holiday - Jun 18, 2010
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali Lets Aishwarya Go For Paa! - Dec 01, 2009
- 'Ra.One' to meet 'Raavan' in London! (Movie Snippets) - Jun 13, 2010
- Big B opens IPL with Prasoon Joshi's poem - Apr 03, 2012
- Bhansali bends rules for Aishwarya - Dec 01, 2009
Tags: abhishek bachchan, amitabh bachchan, ashutosh rana, avatar, birth anniversary, harivansh rai bachchan, jaya bachchan, launch, madhushala, nostalgia, om puri, podium, poems, prasoon joshi, rahul bose, screenwriter, swaroop, third generation, vyas, wife jaya