Bachchan’s figures on ‘Paanchvi Pass’ give incomplete picture: Siddhartha BasuMay 26th, 2008 - 9:41 am ICT by admin
By Radhika Bhirani
New Delhi, May 26 (IANS) The statistics that veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan presented in his blog about “Kya Aap Paanchvi Pass Se Tez Hain” hosted by Shah Rukh Khan fail to give a complete picture, says Siddhartha Basu, the producer of the TV quiz show. “Mr. Bachchan is entitled to his views and we respect his opinion, whether we agree with it or not. The figures sent to him as used in the blog give an incomplete picture,” Basu told IANS.
On his blog, the Big B had commented on Shah Rukh’s stint in “Paanchvi Pass” and questioned why “despite the presence of the biggest name in the business”, the show was showing a depleting performance as per Television Rating Points (TRPs).
“‘Paanchvi Pass’, or as one rival channel executive sniggered, ‘Paanchvi Fail’, after its not too encouraging numbers, facing relative lower ratings, is what I wish to debate on,” wrote Amitabh. However, he later apologised for this analysis.
Amitabh also made uncharitable comparisons between himself and Shah Rukh as hosts of the popular game show “Kaun Banega Crorepati” (KBC) that is no longer on air.
Basu, the brainchild behind both the shows, explained: “With the exponential growth in TV sets and viewers, analysts have shown how each subsequent series of ‘KBC’ actually had a higher viewership than the earlier ones and ‘KBC 3′ with Shah Rukh had the highest number of viewers.”
“This no reflection on the excellence of Mr. Bachchan’s hosting of the show or Shah Rukh’s wit and charm.
“I believe Shah Rukh makes a superb host of ‘Paanchvi Pass’, and his repartee, articulation, sense of humour and unmatched ability to think on his feet mark him out as a truly world class host.”
Apart from Amitabh’s analysis that has invited a lot of media attention, there has been speculation that the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) matches have affected the popularity of “Paanchvi Pass”.
Basu admits that IPL has affected the show’s viewership, saying: “Yes, of course, all new shows launched during this period such as ‘Paanchvi Pass’, and running ones too have been hugely affected by the IPL. A truer picture of the response to the show would emerge after IPL as its telecast would continue for the full run of 36 episodes.”
- Amitabh Praises SRK; Ducks Salman's 'Dus Ka Dum' - Jul 09, 2010
- Amitabh signs for two more seasons of 'KBC' - Jan 19, 2011
- Big B set to start rehearsals for KBC 4 - Jul 15, 2010
- 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' mock ramp to tour 22 cities (With Images) - Jul 30, 2011
- Hats off to Big B, says SRK (Movie Snippets) - Oct 08, 2011
- Bhojpuri, Bengali versions of '...To Be A Millionaire' start Monday - Jun 03, 2011
- I'm badshah of bedroom: SRK - Dec 17, 2010
- 'KBC 5' to go on air in August, Rohit Bal to design for Big B - May 05, 2011
- I can't do what Mr. Bachchan did in KBC: Prosenjit - Mar 06, 2011
- Of Aamir Khan, KBC, And Amitbabh Bachchan - Jun 18, 2010
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- 'Kaun Banega Crorepati 4' goes on air Oct 11 - Aug 03, 2010
- SRK returns to small screen with 'Zor Ka Jhatka' (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Over five mn people participate in 'KBC 4' auditions - Sep 10, 2010
- Bollywood and IPL: Industry rides on India's twin passions - May 17, 2012
Tags: amitabh bachchan, articulation, brainchild, exponential growth, game show, ipl, kbc 3, media attention, mr bachchan, quiz show, radhika, repartee, sense of humour, shah rukh khan, siddhartha, tv quiz, tv sets, unmatched ability, veteran actor, viewership