‘Ayan’ is predictable, but slick (Tamil Film Review)April 4th, 2009 - 1:07 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Ayan”; Director: K.V. Anand; Cast: Surya, Tamanna; Music: Harris Jayaraj; Rating: **1/2
The multi-billion rupee question sought to be answered through the slickly made “Ayan” is which smuggled commodity is a lesser evil from the nation’s point of view - untaxed diamonds or harmful narcotics.
Else, there is nothing more to look out for other than chases, fisticuffs and some romance. “Ayan” has a highly predictable start, middle and climax as far as the storyline, screenplay and dialogues are concerned.
The male protagonist Deva (Surya) works as a courier for a north Chennai-based smuggler Das (Prabhu).
A friend’s sister played by Tamanna is the hero’s love-interest and she brings relief from the violence through her song and dance sequences.
The tale is as old as time, full of vendetta copied from the days of Mario Puzo’s “Godfather” onwards.
The filming, excellent cinematography, taut storytelling methods and Surya’s spirited performance are highlights of the movie, which has been made as an out-an-out commercial venture.
There are no surprises anywhere except some of the hitherto unknown shooting locales perfectly canned by M.S. Prabhu. Harris Jayaraj’s music score is a wee bit more than passing muster.
The generous promos on television are likely to bring in the crowds and give the producers and distributors their money’s worth.
- 'Engeyum Kadhal' Audio Launch On October 24 - Oct 18, 2010
- Harris Jayaraj's Music, A Roaring Success! - Nov 16, 2010
- Prabhu Deva Cant Stop Praising Hansika Motwani - Nov 12, 2010
- Engeyum Kadhal audio in October - Sep 22, 2010
- Prabhu Deva to direct Akshay Kumar - Sep 16, 2010
- Prabhu Deva's ICH becomes Engeyum Kadhal now - Sep 15, 2010
- Prabhu Deva Completes ICH - Aug 02, 2010
- Kollywood See Line Up Of Romantic Releases In The Valentines’ Season - Jan 25, 2011
- Jeeva's 'KO' Nearing Completion - Aug 30, 2010
- Hansika Motwani Busy In Promoting The Music Of Her Upcoming Flick ‘Engeyum Kaadhal’ - Nov 11, 2010
- Prakash Raj, Pooja Win Vijay Awards - May 31, 2010
- Hansika Motwani: I'm Flooded With Offers - Nov 08, 2010
- Aadhavan audio launch on Independence Day - Jul 17, 2009
- K.V. Anand Completes Ko - Jul 28, 2010
- Manmadhan Ambu postponed to December? - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: chases, cinematography, commercial venture, dance sequences, dialogues, fisticuffs, harris jayaraj, lesser evil, love interest, male protagonist, mario puzo, music score, narcotics, rupee, smuggler, song and dance, spirited performance, tamil film, vendetta, wee bit