Avatar surpasses Titanic to become highest-grossing film in historyJanuary 27th, 2010 - 5:36 pm ICT by BNO News
LOS ANGELES (BNO NEWS) – Sci-fi hit “Avatar” has surpassed film heavyweight “Titanic” to become the highest-grossing movie worldwide in history, according to a 20th Century Fox spokesman.
Avatar is now the highest-grossing movie worldwide ever, currently standing at $1.859 billion after Monday’s sales, said 20th Century Fox spokesman Greg Brilliant. That is compared to “Titanic”, the previous holder of the title, who had grossed $1.843 billion in 1997 and 1998.
Avatar premiered in London on December 10, 2009 and was released in North American on December 18, 2009 to critical acclaim and commercial success. The film broke several box office records during its release. Avatar is the twenty-sixth highest-grossing film in North America, once adjusted for inflation.
Due to the financial and critical success, film director James Cameron has confirmed that there will be a sequel.
- Avatar breaks Titanic box office record - Jan 27, 2010
- Cameron hit by lawsuit again over 'Avatar' - Dec 20, 2011
- Avatar beats Titanic at the global box office! - Jan 28, 2010
- Avatar overtakes Titanic - Jan 26, 2010
- Avatar poised to overtake Titanic at global box-office - Jan 25, 2010
- 'Avatar' to break 'Titanic' record - Jan 26, 2010
- 'Toy Story 3' named 'highest grossing film of 2010' - Dec 30, 2010
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- Cameron's 'Avatar' now the third highest grossing film of all time in US - Jan 18, 2010
- Mountain in China named after 'Avatar' - Jan 27, 2010
- Avatar overtakes Titanic in box-office earnings - Jan 26, 2010
- James Cameron to help in Chinese 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Avatar' tops 'most-pirated films of 2010' list - Dec 22, 2010
- Cameron tapped for China's 3D film - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Avatar' becomes fastest movie ever to hit $1bn in sales - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: 20th century fox, avatar, bno, box office records, commercial success, critical acclaim, critical success, director james cameron, film director, highest grossing film, inflation, james cameron, london, north america, s sales, sci fi, sequel, spokesman, titanic