‘Avatar’ earns Rs.22 crore at weekend in IndiaDecember 21st, 2009 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 21 (IANS) Director James Cameron’s much-hyped and anticipated 3D sci-fi epic “Avatar” is raking in moolah at the Indian box office - its opening weekend collections is Rs.22 crore (Rs.220 million).
Touted to be the highest ever weekend collection for any Hollywood film in India so far, it has beaten the opening collections of international blockbusters like “2012″, “Titanic” and “Spider-Man 3″.
“‘Avatar’ has had an amazing opening and the audience reactions are fantastic with a very large proportion of them wanting to see it again. Our theatrical partners are delighted to see queues building up outside multiplexes for advance bookings. The movie is being appreciated across all age groups,” Vijay Singh, CEO, Fox Star Studios India, said in a statement.
Indian collections are also amongst the top 10 weekend performances in the world for the movie beating the likes of traditionally better performing countries like Taiwan, Singapore, New Zealand, Sweden, Holland and Hong Kong.
Starring Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana, the movie depicts the story of a wounded ex-marine thrust unwillingly into an effort to exploit an exotic moon rich in bio-diversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival.
- Avatar breaks all records in India grosses INR 220 million in opening weekend! - Dec 21, 2009
- Avatar Opening Week Box Office of Rs 40 crores... - Dec 24, 2009
- 'Avatar' crosses Rs.1 bn mark in India - Jan 22, 2010
- 'Avatar' grosses Rs.6.75 crore on opening day in India - Dec 20, 2009
- Avatar has more to offer this weekend - Nov 01, 2009
- 'Avatar' to be re-released with extra footage Aug 27 - Jul 08, 2010
- Cameron's 'Avatar' the costliest film at $230 mn (With Images) - Nov 05, 2009
- 'Avatar' to release with 700 prints in India - Dec 14, 2009
- Indian multiplexes go 3-D for 'Avatar' - Nov 26, 2009
- 3D 'Avatar' promises edge-of-seat special effects - Dec 03, 2009
- Bollywood and Hollywood shell out big monies - Nov 11, 2009
- 4 Golden Globe nominations for Avatar! - Dec 17, 2009
- Avatar Takes Box Office By Storm - Dec 20, 2009
- With a budget of Rs 1200 crores, James Cameron's 'AVATAR' is the biggest film ever! - Nov 04, 2009
- 'Avatar' declared best film at the Golden Globe awards - Jan 18, 2010
Tags: advance bookings, audience reactions, bio diversity, blockbusters, crore, director james cameron, hollywood film, indian collections, james cameron, moolah, multiplexes, queues, sam worthington, sci fi, sigourney weaver, spider man 3, star studios, vijay singh, weekend performances, zoe saldana