Avatar box-office collections break all recordsDecember 29th, 2009 - 1:35 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York City, Dec 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The 3-D epic movie Avatar, didn’t sink like a titanic, instead it rose like a phoenix and broke all box-office records. The director of another record-breaking movie ‘Titanic’, James Cameron has also directed Avatar and it is also shattering the box office collections worldwide. In just 10 days of release Avatar has made over $212 million in just the US.
By conservative estimates the worldwide collection of Avatar could easily be over $1 billion. The opening weekend collection was $77.4 million and in the next weekend it was $75 million, which is just a miniscule drop of 3% from the opening weekend. Blockbusters typically drop 30-50 percent in the second weekend.
“This thing is going to be playing and playing, I can tell you that,” said Bert Livingston, 20th Century Fox distribution executive. “There’s a lot of business out there. Everybody’s got good movies out.” In addition to “Avatar,” the Christmas weekend included the release of “Sherlock Holmes,” which brought in $65.4 million in the U.S.
During the Christmas weekend the Americans spend over $278 million on movie tickets over the past three days broke the previous weekend record of $260.8 million set in July 2008, when “The Dark Knight” was released, according to Hollywood.com.
- James Cameron says that Avatar sequel is on the way - Jan 15, 2010
- Avatar crosses $1 Billion mark - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Avatar' becomes fastest movie ever to hit $1bn in sales - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Avatar' leads cinemas to record weekend earnings - Dec 28, 2009
- 'Avatar' crosses $2 billion mark - Feb 01, 2010
- 'Avatar' holds onto top spot at US box office - Feb 01, 2010
- "Avatar" Becomes The Biggest Grosser In The Box Office - Dec 28, 2009
- AVATAR still ruling the Box Office! - Dec 28, 2009
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- Avatar poised to overtake Titanic at global box-office - Jan 25, 2010
- Avatar breaks Titanic box office record - Jan 27, 2010
- Cameron's 'Avatar' now the third highest grossing film of all time in US - Jan 18, 2010
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' shatters several box office records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Avatar' leads US box office for fifth weekend running - Jan 18, 2010
- 'Dear John' overtakes 'Avatar' at weekend box office (Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: 1 billion, 20th century fox, avatar, bert, box office records, christmas, christmas weekend, conservative estimates, dark knight, epic movie, hollywood, james cameron, movie tickets, new york city, office collections, phoenix, sherlock holmes, titanic james cameron, worldwide collection