Avatar box-office collections break all recordsDecember 29th, 2009 - 1:35 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York City, Dec 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The 3-D epic movie Avatar, didn’t sink like a titanic, instead it rose like a phoenix and broke all box-office records. The director of another record-breaking movie ‘Titanic’, James Cameron has also directed Avatar and it is also shattering the box office collections worldwide. In just 10 days of release Avatar has made over $212 million in just the US.
By conservative estimates the worldwide collection of Avatar could easily be over $1 billion. The opening weekend collection was $77.4 million and in the next weekend it was $75 million, which is just a miniscule drop of 3% from the opening weekend. Blockbusters typically drop 30-50 percent in the second weekend.
“This thing is going to be playing and playing, I can tell you that,” said Bert Livingston, 20th Century Fox distribution executive. “There’s a lot of business out there. Everybody’s got good movies out.” In addition to “Avatar,” the Christmas weekend included the release of “Sherlock Holmes,” which brought in $65.4 million in the U.S.
During the Christmas weekend the Americans spend over $278 million on movie tickets over the past three days broke the previous weekend record of $260.8 million set in July 2008, when “The Dark Knight” was released, according to Hollywood.com.
- James Cameron says that Avatar sequel is on the way - Jan 15, 2010
- Avatar crosses $1 Billion mark - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Avatar' becomes fastest movie ever to hit $1bn in sales - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Avatar' leads cinemas to record weekend earnings - Dec 28, 2009
- 'Avatar' crosses $2 billion mark - Feb 01, 2010
- 'Avatar' holds onto top spot at US box office - Feb 01, 2010
- "Avatar" Becomes The Biggest Grosser In The Box Office - Dec 28, 2009
- AVATAR still ruling the Box Office! - Dec 28, 2009
- Movie goers' thumbs up to 'Titanic 3D', earns Rs.6.1 crore - Apr 09, 2012
- Avatar poised to overtake Titanic at global box-office - Jan 25, 2010
- Avatar breaks Titanic box office record - Jan 27, 2010
- Cameron's 'Avatar' now the third highest grossing film of all time in US - Jan 18, 2010
- 'Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - Part 2' shatters several box office records - Jul 18, 2011
- 'Avatar' leads US box office for fifth weekend running - Jan 18, 2010
- 'Dear John' overtakes 'Avatar' at weekend box office (Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,