Australian ‘Band of Brothers’ to play in RajasthanOctober 13th, 2011 - 12:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Australian classical guitar and percussion band Band of Brothers will play at the Rajasthan International Folk Festival in Jodhpur Friday.
The band, “considered one of the best in the continent”, consists of sibling duos — Slava and Leonard Grigoryan; and Joseph and James Tawadros, the Australian High Commission said in a statement.
“They will play a repertoire which will cross cultural and stylistic barriers; from world music, to jazz, to classical and traditional music,” it said.
The brothers will also explore collaborations with Rajasthani musicians. They will then perform at Chowmahalla Palace in Hyderabad Sunday before moving to Colombo, Sri Lanka.
The Tawadros originally come from Egypt and the Grigoryans from Kazakhstan.
“While the brothers were influenced by their cultural traditions, they were more interested in transcending, rather than upholding them,” the statement added.
- Grigoryan Brothers: Strumming classical notes in age of funk rock - Oct 07, 2009
- 'Indian rhythms, American jazz coming together' - Nov 02, 2011
- Egypt brings new fusion culture package to India (With Image) - Jan 31, 2012
- Mozart's cradle to Indian raga: Long journey for Austrian jazz band - Dec 04, 2010
- Mother and I respect each other's music: Rocker Dhaval Mudgal - Aug 07, 2012
- 12 bands and sounds of new age South Asian music - Dec 05, 2010
- East meets West in novel music initiative - Nov 24, 2011
- Rajasthani touch at British queen's celebrations - Apr 28, 2012
- All that jazz in Delhi! - Apr 06, 2011
- Kailash Kher to perform at world Sufi fest - Feb 10, 2012
- Jazz musicians in Delhi mix new sounds with new venues (Feature) (With images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Ethiopian dance, food fiesta in Delhi (With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Seven global musicians make melody without boundaries (With Images) - Jan 31, 2010
- 1,200 Tabla, 300 Pakwaj players on one stage - Jan 16, 2012
- Jaipur Maharaja band to jam at Singapore Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: australian high commission, band of brothers, classical guitar, colombo sri lanka, continent, egypt, hyderabad, international folk festival, jazz, jodhpur, kazakhstan, musicians, New Delhi, percussion band, sibling, slava, stylistic barriers, traditional music, traditions, world music