Assam villagers plant about 300,00 saplings for world recordJuly 15th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by ANI
By Peter Alex Todd
Chautaki (Assam) July 15 (ANI): In an attempt to create a world record and also contribute to the environment, villagers in Assam planted 284,000 saplings in a single day here recently.
Around 300 people including government officials, NGO workers and residents of Chautaki Village in Assams Bongaigaon district got together to create record by planting 284,000 saplings in a single day.
Villagers could be seen toiling away, as they planted saplings of various plants like guava, teak, neem, in an area spread over 31.5 hectares of land.
The plantation drive was carried out under ENREGA project (Govt Project) at a cost of rupees 3.4 million The Grand project was made successful with the help of Government officials, NGOs and Villagers.
An independent observer from World Wildlife Fund (WWF) was called into oversee the entire activity.
The attempt was started on the afternoon of July 11 and continued till next day, during which a record 284, 000 saplings were planted by the villagers.
“I have been invited as an independent observer to this whole world attempt of Guinness Book Of World Record of plantation of around 300, 000 saplings within 24 hours in this Chautaki area. And I”m very happy to see that the whole exercise was done meticulously according to the guidelines set by the World Heritage Committee,” said Surajeet Baruah, observer and official from WWF.
Villagers also wanted to preserve environment by planting saplings.
The previous world record for planting saplings was from Tamil Nadus Nagapattinam district, when 254, 000 saplings were planted in a day. (ANI)
- WWF's Adopt a Tree Campaign to start July 4 - Jul 02, 2011
- Delhi Metro to plant 10,000 saplings - Jul 22, 2011
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- AMUL plants 10 million trees in Gujarat under Amul Green Campaign on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2010
- Natural teak forests declining: UN - Mar 27, 2012
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- Spiritual group plants 35 lakh trees - May 18, 2012
- Assam's Guinness bid: 40,885 saplings planted in an hour - Apr 29, 2012
- Natural teak forests declining worldwide: UN - Apr 26, 2012
- India helping Ethiopia realise full potential of neem - Jan 05, 2012
- Assam Rifles to plant 10,000 trees in Mizoram - Jul 04, 2012
- Agra city going green - the voluntary way - Aug 09, 2010
- Dikshit launches plantation drive in NDMC area - Sep 01, 2012
- Pakistani man sets tree plantation world record - Sep 29, 2010
- Assam governor launches green project - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: alex, assam, book of world record, government officials, guinness book of world, guinness book of world record, hectares, independent observer, neem, ngo workers, ngos, plantation drive, plants, rupees, saplings, single day, world attempt, world heritage committee, world wildlife fund, world wildlife fund wwf