Assam journalist killed by gunmen on motorcycleNovember 22nd, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Nov 22 (IANS) Unidentified gunmen Saturday shot dead a journalist in Assam, the second journalist to be killed this week in the region.Police said two motorcycle riders killed 30-year-old Jagajit Saikia in the heart of Kokrajhar town, about 250 km west of Guwahati.
Saikia was talking to some people outside his office in the afternoon when the assailants pumped six bullets from a small weapon from close range, a police official said over telephone.
Saikia was the Kokrajhar district reporter for the mass circulation Amar Asom, a vernacular daily published from Guwahati. He was declared “brought dead” at a hospital in Kokrakjar.
“We are yet to identify the killers or the motive behind the attack,” the official said. Witnesses and police said the gunmen sped away after the attack.
Saikia leaves behind his wife and a two-and-half-year-old daughter.
“We don’t know why he was killed as he didn’t have enmity with anybody,” Saikia’s brother said.
The area where the killing took place is dominated by the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which has been blamed for a string of recent bomb blasts in Assam that killed 90 people.
On Monday, unidentified assailants shot dead Konsam Rishikanta, 22, a trainee sub-editor working for the Imphal Free Press, an English daily, in Imphal, capital of the adjoining Manipur.
- PM expresses concern over killings of northeast journalists - Nov 24, 2008
- Media rights group seeks CBI probe into Assam scribe's killing - Nov 25, 2008
- Businessman shot dead in Assam's Kokrajhar - Aug 17, 2012
- Nine killed in communal clashes in Assam's Kokrajhar - Jul 21, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Alert in ten Assam districts after clashes - Jul 23, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Assam, violence toll 40 - Jul 26, 2012
- Bodoland outfit chief's sister killed in Assam - Jan 05, 2010
- Assam toll is 12, curfew continues - Jul 22, 2012
- Terror groups, state infringing media freedom in northeast - Mar 15, 2010
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- IFJ flays Assam editor's murder (Lead) - Mar 26, 2009
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012