Assam blast: VHP calls for 12 hours shutdown todayNovember 1st, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by ANI
Guwahati, Nov 1 (ANI): The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has today called for a 12-hour shutdown in Assam that was rocked by serial blasts on October 30, leaving over 70 people dead.
The VHP, which is protesting against the failure of the government to protect the people from the blasts in the state, is joined by the Bajrang Dal and Assam Chamber of Commerce.
Shops and businesses establishments remained closed and vehicles remained off the roads.
“Almost all the places here have responded to the shutdown call. This is to show that all of us are against these blasts,” said Abhijit Deka, a resident of Assam.
Security personnel have been deployed across the state as a precautionary measure. All essential services have been exempted from the purview of the shutdown.
Meanwhile, the All Assam Students” Union (AASU) has called for a 24-hour shutdown on Monday.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi are scheduled to reach Guwahati to review the situation.
Twelve high intensity serial blasts rocked Guwahati and some other cities of Assam on Thursday morning.
The first explosions took place near the Ganeshguri flyover near the high-security capital complex housing the Assembly building, followed by explosions at Paltan Bazar and Fancy Bazar in Guwahati.
Around the same time, bombs also went off in crowded market places of Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Barpeta in lower Assam.
Meanwhile, Indian Mujahideen, a frontal organisation of HUJI and Lashkar - e Toiba - have claimed responsibility for Assam serial blasts. It made the claim in an SMS sent to a local TV channel. (ANI)
- Guwahati students rally against serial blasts - Nov 12, 2008
- Manmohan Singh to visit blast affected areas of Assam - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil visits blast- affected areas in Assam - Oct 31, 2008
- Don't spare Assam's Kasab, say victims of 2008 blasts - Oct 29, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to visit Assam today - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil to visit Assam today - Oct 31, 2008
- PM, Sonia visit Assam blast victims - Nov 01, 2008
- Shivraj Patil assures help to Assam government to punish perpetrators of blasts - Nov 01, 2008
- All religion prayer for Assam blasts victims in Kolkata - Oct 31, 2008
- Uneasy calm in Assam after serial blasts - Oct 31, 2008
- Shutdown affects normal life in Assam - Aug 27, 2012
- Police releases sketch of Assam blasts suspect - Nov 04, 2008
- NDFB chief is Assam's 'Kasab', say angry blast victims - May 02, 2010
- Assam ministers rush to Bangalore, Hyderabad - Aug 17, 2012
- Shutdown in Assam to protest terror attack - Nov 03, 2008
Tags: aasu, assam, dr manmohan singh, essential services, flyover, high intensity, high security, huji, lashkar e toiba, manmohan, manmohan singh, precautionary measure, progressive alliance, purview, security capital, security personnel, sonia gandhi, time bombs, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad