Asma Jehangir favours Sarabjit Singhs releaseMarch 20th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 20 (ANI): Human Rights Commission of Pakistan Chairperson Asma Jehangir said on Thursday that Sarabjit Singh, the Indian awaiting gallows in a Pakistani jail, should be released and sent back to India.
India and Pakistan must treat each others citizens arrested on various grounds in a humane manner, Jehangir told reporters here.
She further said that the two countries should not play politics with human lives.
Nations should strive to earn goodwill. We should not play politics with the lives of people, Jehangir said.
I feel goodwill should be a two-sided thing, it should not be one-sided. But despite this, I feel that Sarabjit Singh should be released and sent back to India. Even if it means sentencing him to life, he should be sent back, she added.
Sarabjit Singh has been languishing in Pakistani jails for the past 17 years and has been awarded the death sentence on charges of spying and terrorist activities.
On Wednesday, Pakistan stayed the execution till April 30 after the Indian Government appealed to Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf.
Singh was sentenced to death in 1991 for spying and carrying out four bomb blasts that killed 14 people, but his family said he was innocent and had crossed the border into Pakistan accidentally in 1990 while drunk. (ANI)
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: 17 years, asma jehangir, bomb blasts, chairperson, death sentence, gallows, goodwill, human rights commission, human rights commission of pakistan, humane manner, india and pakistan, india india, indian government, jails, New Delhi, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, sarabjit singh, terrorist activities