Asian Film Festival showcases Bergman, Kurosowa classicsNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:22 am ICT by admin
The focus of the festival this year is on Chinese cinema with as many as sevenhinese films being showcased.
Noted Bollywood Director Madhur Bhandarkar inaugurated the fifth Asian Film Festival in Pune on Thursday.
Asian Film Foundation President Kiran V. Shantaram, actor and convenor of the festival Mohan Agashe, actress Ashvini Bhave, Indira School of Communication Director Pradeep Dixit and festival directors Virendra Chitrav and Satish Jakatdar were also present on the occasion.
Bhandarkar, who is known for films like “Chandini Bar”, “Traffic Signal” and “Page 3″ to name a few, was happy over his films being screened every year at the festival.
“I feel very happy that every year one of my films is showcased here. Festivals such as these are very important because one gets to interact with a host of people from the film fraternity and also to see different kinds of films and to meet filmmakers from other countries,” said Bhandarkar.
Noted film producer Yash Chopra, who was to receive the Zenita Asia Award, could not make it to inaugural ceremony due to health reasons. He is expected to be present on the final day.
The eight-day festival is a joint initiative of Aashay Film Club and Indira School of Communication, in association with the Asian Film Foundation, Mumbai.
Films lovers from across the country were seen mingling with their favourite directors and actors at the film fest.
“When I attended the Asian Film festival last time we saw some wonderful movies. I got to see a number of films from our neighbouring countries and it was a really enriching experience,” said Gauri Deshmukh. (ANI)
- 16th Kolkata film fest kicks off; Kurosowa, Tagore in focus - Nov 10, 2010
- SRK, Sharmila to inaugurate 17th Kolkata film fest - Nov 06, 2011
- Capital to host its first 'Delhi International Film Festival' - Aug 21, 2012
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Photos by Satyajit Ray on display at Kolkata filmfest - Nov 12, 2011
- 'Chandni Bar', 'Fashion' to be screened in Berlin - Aug 13, 2012
- 6th South Asian Film Festival to begin Sep 15 - Sep 03, 2011
- African, South American films at kids fest - Oct 21, 2011
- World cinema unfolds as MAMI fest kicks off - Oct 22, 2010
- Shyam Benegal To Be Felicitated At The Third Eye Asian Film Festival - Oct 07, 2010
- Bhandarkar on jury of Cairo film fest - Sep 06, 2012
- Kolkata Film Festival 2010 Will Screen 127 Films From 38 Countries - Nov 03, 2010
- Mamata plans to honour Hollywood directors - Nov 17, 2011
- Nine silent films to be shown at Mumbai fest - Jul 18, 2012
- Mexican director's debut film competes at Tokyo festival - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: asian film festival, asian film foundation, chandini, chinese cinema, communication director, festival directors, festival showcases, foundation president, gauri, inaugural ceremony, indira, madhur bhandarkar, mohan agashe, pradeep dixit, shantaram, showcased, virendra, yash chopra