Asian and Arab film fest opens in MumbaiJune 13th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 13 (IANS) The two-day premiere of the 10th Osian’s-Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema got off Friday that will showcase 14 movies, selected from 160 entries, and a collection of seven short films. Being held at the National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA) complex in South Mumbai, the entry is free on a first come first seated basis.
The movies being shown today include Pascale Ferran’s “Lady Chatterley” (France), “Alexis Tan’s “Blood Brothers” (Taiwan-China-Hongkong), Aturo Ripstein’s “Principio y Fin” (Mexico), Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s “Flight of the Red Balloon”(Taiwan-France), Woo Ming Jin’s “The Elephant and the Sea” (Malaysia), Zhao Liang’s “Crime and Punishment” (China), Mai Masri’s “33 Days” (Lebanon) and seven short movies from different Asian countries.
Also, Mani Shankar will premiere his action thriller “Mukhbir”.
“I am delighted that ‘Mukhbir’ is being premiered at the Osian, which is committed to bringing to audiences the finest films from India, Asia and the Arab countries.
Bollywood’s exuberant star of the 1960s, Shammi Kapoor, who heralded a youthful era to Hindi movies, will be felicitated June 15. Earlier in the day, one of his hit, Shakti Samanta’s “Kashmir Ki Kali”, will be screened at the NCPA’s Tata Theatre.
A seminar on “Ban the Book, Flaunt the Film” is also being organised Saturday as a part of the festival. Noted writers Nayantara Sahgal, Bharat Kumar Raut, Hussain Zaidi, Rahul Dholakia and Flavia Agnes will take part in it. It will be moderated by Aruna Vasudev.
Apart from screening best of movies made with Asian and Arab crews, an exhibition of vintage photographic stills and lobby cards featuring Shammi Kapoor is also being held at the Pirama Gallery, near the NCPA.
The exhibition also includes display of a few Shakespear aquatints from Boydell Gallery at the Jehangir Nicholson Gallery under the title of Shakespear Engravings alongside Vintage Novel Covers, featuring original art works for pulp Hindi novel covers
All these exhibits are collections from the Osian’s Art & Film Archive.
The model of the ‘Osianama’ Osian’s flagship cultural complex to be opened in Mumbai next year, will also be unveiled Saturday.
The main festival will start July 10 in Delhi.
- Osian back with second mega auction of movie art - Jul 11, 2012
- Osian's Cinefan Film Festival returns in July - Mar 24, 2012
- Osian's film fest back with rare, bold films - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi's winter arts calendar a riot of colours, creativity - Nov 25, 2010
- India gets its first creative design fest March 2-10 - Feb 17, 2012
- 11th Osian film fest to put spotlight on India - Oct 06, 2009
- It's a different Arab spring in art and culture - Jan 31, 2012
- 6th South Asian Film Festival to begin Sep 15 - Sep 03, 2011
- Mani Kaul passes away - Jul 06, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor to be honoured at South Asia Film Festival - Aug 18, 2011
- Osian film fest returns, starts July 27 - May 23, 2012
- India's screen divas are symbols of Indian femininity: Neville Tuli (Interview)(With Image) - Jun 15, 2012
- Osian's new art festival to look at anatomy of violence - Jun 12, 2009
- Tom Stoppard in India Jan 23 to talk about adaptations - Jan 09, 2012
- Osianama to open in Delhi, not Mumbai - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: action thriller, aquatints, arab film, bharat kumar, dholakia, flavia agnes, hou hsiao hsien, india asia, jehangir, lady chatterley, ncpa, original art works, osian, pascale ferran, red balloon, ripstein, sea malaysia, shammi kapoor, south mumbai, vasudev