Artists community expresses support for Shah Rukh KhanFebruary 4th, 2010 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) The artists’ community Thursday extended strong support to Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan following the Shiv Sena’s threats to stop the release of his latest film in the wake of his remark favouring Pakistani players’ participation in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
A statement by the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust (SAHMAT)- an umbrella organisation of artists - said: “We, the community of artists, actors, musicians and cultural artists are in full solidarity with the clear stand taken by Shah Rukh Khan in facing the recent threats against him by the Shiv Sena”.
“This threat issued by the Shiv Sena is only the latest in a series of campaigns by sections of the Hindu right wing against actors, artists and writers. We salute the courage of Shah Rukh Khan in standing up to these threats and want him to know that the entire creative arts community stands by him,” said the statement, signed by well-known theatre personality M.K.Raina, artist and photojournalist Ram Rahman, artist Vivan Sundaram, designer and filmmaker Parthiv Shah and author Indira Chandrasekhar.
Raina said: “The state government in Maharashtra and the central government should act immediately against those issuing these violent threats. People should come forward in defence of cinema houses which screen Shah Rukh Khan’s films”.
Shah Rukh Khan’s latest film “My Name is Khan” is all set to hit the screens Feb 12.
- Mass support for Shah Rukh after Sena attack - Feb 04, 2010
- Artists condemn move to remove Gujarat riots video from China show - Jul 26, 2012
- Protests over removal of Mistry's novel from syllabus - Oct 19, 2010
- Artists, thinkers outraged over crackdown on gay lensman's work - Mar 28, 2012
- Sahmat sends open invitation to Rushdie - Jan 23, 2012
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- Events in Delhi to mark poet Faiz's birth centenary - Dec 28, 2010
- Chavan threatens to withdraw Uddhav's security - Feb 10, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan too features in leaked US embassy cable - Dec 18, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan's fans protest against Shiv Sena in Kolkata - Feb 05, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan Finds Place In The WikiLeaks Cables - Dec 18, 2010
- Intellectuals speak up for M.F. Husain, Arundhati Roy - Jan 01, 2011
- Protests against Shiv Sena, effigies of Thackerays burnt - Feb 12, 2010
- Sand artist condemns protest against 'MNIK' - Feb 10, 2010
- Abhay misses Khans, Bachchans at IIFA - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: artists community, central government, chandrasekhar, cinema houses, creative arts community, indira, maharashtra, memorial trust, New Delhi, photojournalist, premier league, raina, right wing, safdar hashmi, shah rukh khan, shiv sena, solidarity, state government, umbrella organisation, violent threats