Artist recreates Jade Goody’s last moments in live-actionMay 5th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) Artist Mark McGowan has recreated late British reality TV star Jade Goody’s deathbed and dying moments in a controversial exhibition.
The “Re-enactment of the Death of Jade Goody” featured actors enacting the parts of the late star, her husband Jack Tweed and mother Jackiey Budden, reports the Daily Mail online.
The set features a double bed on which the artist playing Goody lies while those depicting Tweed and Budden sit at the bedside holding her hand.
Around 200 people attended the two-hour performance Sunday evening, which has already led to a backlash with some critics saying it’s in poor taste.
Artist and creator Mark McGowan admitted his exhibition was “provocative” but claimed it was intended to be a tribute to Goody, who died of cervical cancer aged 27.
“I understand it’s provocative and sometime that is my aim, to provoke people. I’ve been accused of jumping on the Jade Goody bandwagon, but the truth is I think people are just too hung up about death in this country,” he said.
“I admired Jade and believe she was an artist herself in the way she performed before the media. Many of the spectators at (the) exhibition were very moved by what they saw. People walked out of the room, telling me it brought back memories of when their mother died… or their brother died,” he added.
The live art-piece has no dialogue or sound and was instead designed to be a tableau representation of what the mother-of-two’s final hours may have looked like.
- Jack Tweed infuriates Jade Goody's family with book deal - Feb 28, 2011
- Jade Goody's mum marks daughter's first death anniversary - Mar 22, 2010
- Jade Goody's mum sells teddy bears left on grave - Nov 08, 2010
- Jade Goody's death to be subject of 'art' work - Apr 12, 2009
- Jade Goody's Mum Jackiey Budden Recalls Her Attempted Suicide - Jan 10, 2011
- Jade Goody's mum recalls her attempted suicide - Jan 10, 2011
- Jack Tweed had sex only three days after Jade Goody's funeral - Sep 24, 2009
- Jonathan McGowan lives off roadkill for the last 30 years - Oct 18, 2011
- Goody's mum files lawsuit over daughter's burial photos - Aug 26, 2009
- Jade Goody mum's grave vigil - Dec 24, 2009
- Jade Goodys mum: My beautiful girl has gone - Mar 23, 2009
- Jade Goody reunited with lost twins in heaven, says mum - Sep 16, 2009
- Jade Goody had begged mother to kill her - Apr 22, 2009
- Jade Goody 'disgusted with Jack Tweed from beyond the grave' - Aug 03, 2009
- Mum goes on 16hr drugs-booze binge before Goody's death anniversary - Mar 21, 2010
Tags: art piece, artist mark, backlash, bandwagon, cervical cancer, controversial exhibition, daily mail, deathbed, enactment, jack tweed, jackiey budden, jade goody, live art, mark mcgowan, poor taste, reality tv, spectators, sunday evening, tableau, tv star