Arthur Penn, Noted Filmmaker Passes Away At 88September 30th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
New York, Sep 30, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Celebrated filmmaker Arthur Penn who was nominated for the coveted Academy awards thrice in his life passed away on Tuesday at 88. The director is best known for the critically acclaimed film “Bonnie and Clyde” which was released in 1967. The film is considered a cult and landmark in the history of Hollywood. His daughter said in her statement that her father died owing to congestive heart failure at his home in New York city. He directed a number of live TV dramas during the 1950s. His first film was “The Left Handed Gun” which was released in the year 1958. It had Paul Newman in the cast. In the next three decades he directed 12 more films, the most notable of the lot being “The Miracle Worker”.
He rose to fame in the 1960s and even after he stopped making films “Bonnie and Clyde” secured his position among the top notch film makers of Hollywood. Owing to the fact that he made few films in his career spanning several decades and most of his works were done before the 1980s, he is not ranked as high as some other Hollywood directors. His background in stage direction helped him a lot in film making and the actors who worked with him swore by the fact.
He also tasted success in Broadway in the later 1950s and 1960s. His film adaptation of The Miracle Worker got him a Oscar nomination for the first time. “Bonnie and Clyde” fetched him the sophomore nomination for Oscar. The ending of his landmark film ‘Bonnie and Clyde’ remains one of the greatest moments in Hollywood.
- Hollywood film-maker Arthur Penn dies - Sep 30, 2010
- 'Bonnie and Clyde' director Arthur Penn dies at 88 - Sep 30, 2010
- "Bonnie And Clyde" Director Arthur Penn Passes Away At 88 - Oct 03, 2010
- Actor Ben Gazzara dies in US - Feb 05, 2012
- Motwane's next: Rs.50 crore heist caper set in the 1950s - Nov 12, 2011
- 'Pandora's Box' tops most fashionably influential movie list - Sep 09, 2009
- Legendary fast bowler Wes Hall knighted - Jun 17, 2012
- 'Drive' - Has the drive, chutzpah and finesse (IANS Movie Review) - Oct 01, 2011
- Tributes flow for 'fine actor' Tony Curtis - Oct 01, 2010
- 'Peepli Live' - will it make it to Oscars? - Dec 13, 2010
- House where JFK had affair with Monroe now on sale - Apr 29, 2012
- Newman to compose for new James Bond movie - Jan 11, 2012
- Scarlett Johansson records a song - Sep 06, 2011
- 'Forbidden Planet' actress Anne Francis dies aged 80 - Jan 04, 2011
- Oscar Tribute: Michael Jackson, Leslie Nielsen Honored, Corey Haim Snubbed - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: 1950s, 1960s, academy awards, arthur penn, bonnie and clyde, congestive heart failure, film adaptation, film makers, heart failure, history of hollywood, hollywood directors, landmark film, live tv, miracle worker, oscar nomination, paul newman, stage direction, three decades, top notch, tv dramas