Arnie to swap notebooks with online lessons in CaliforniaJune 10th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 10 (ANI): In a bid to save State money, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has stretched a new plan to replace textbooks with Internet lessons.
The actor-turned-politician is facing a budget shortfall of 24.3 billion dollars, and has said that a shift to online study would also keep pupils more up to date.
The ‘Terminator’ star believes that online activities like Facebook, Twitter and downloading to portable devices demonstrate that young people are ready to learn from the internet.
“A world of up-to-date information fits easily into their pockets and onto their computer screens,” the Telegraph quoted him as having written in the San Jose Mercury News.
He added: “So why are California’s public school students still forced to lug around antiquated, heavy, expensive textbooks? California is home to software giants, bioscience research pioneers and first-class university systems known around the world, but our students still learn from instructional materials in formats made possible by Gutenberg’s printing press.”
Last year California spent 350 million dollars on textbooks, which made Schwarzenegger to sign an executive order to scrap funding on contracts from March.
August onwards, high school maths and science students will be offered educational materials online and the opportunity to use digital readers, which can hold the equivalent of 160 books. (ANI)
- Schwarzenegger plans to terminate textbooks for eBooks - Jun 09, 2009
- Chinese parents complain as kids get cassettes - Sep 12, 2012
- Digital textbooks enter US varsity - Feb 28, 2012
- 'Schwarzenegger hid sex life as adeptly as Pakistan hid Osama' - May 24, 2011
- A British school where pupils speak 31 languages - Jun 09, 2012
- Google better at advising teachers than Scotland's curriculum body - Nov 06, 2010
- Maths graduates in India to teach British children - Sep 10, 2010
- Schwarzenegger pays for child support to Shriver - Jun 22, 2011
- E-textbooks knocking at Indian classroom doors - Feb 07, 2012
- Rhythm helps kids master math problems - Mar 25, 2012
- It's now Professor Arnold Schwarzenegger! - Aug 03, 2012
- UK's exams watchdog calls for end of pen, paper usage in written exams - Feb 25, 2011
- Modern schoolbags worth $2k are not without laptop, iPod and phone - Jan 23, 2011
- Britain to set up special maths schools - Nov 27, 2011
- Sarah Palin hits back at Arnie's 'can't see Russia' Twitter jibe - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: actor turned politician, arnold schwarzenegger, billion dollars, budget shortfall, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, executive order, governor arnold schwarzenegger, instructional materials, internet lessons, jose mercury news, printing press, public school students, san jose mercury, san jose mercury news, school maths, science students, software giants, state money, twitter