Army foils infiltration bid in J-K, three militants killedOctober 18th, 2008 - 7:14 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct 18 (ANI): Three militants were killed in a fierce gun battle as army troops foiled the sixth infiltration bid in 10 days along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
A group of three to four militants crossed the LoC in a forward area of Keri sub-sector of Rajouri district on Saturday afternoon, a senior army official said adding, as they reached between the LoC and border fencing, alert troops laid a cordon in the area and launched an operation to track them down.
A gun battle followed in which three militants were killed, he said.
This is the sixth infiltration bid by the militants along the LoC in the past 10 days and the third such attempt in Keri sub-sector.
A militant was gunned down when troops foiled an infiltration bid along the LoC in Peer Badasherwar forward belt in Keri on October 15.
During a similar bid in Kanchi post in Poonch district the previous day, another militant was killed by troops.
Militants also tried to enter Jammu and Kashmir from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir via the LoC in Keri area on October 11 and in Noushera belt on October 13.
Two militants were killed as troops pushed back the ultras.
Earlier on October 9, troops foiled an infiltration bid in Keri sector and a jawan was killed in the gunfight.
On October 1, BSF troops foiled an infiltration bid along the international border at Tent post in Kanachak sub-sector of Jammu district as Pakistani Rangers opened small arms fire to push in a group of militants.
Army and BSF have further beefed up the security along the LoC and the IB to resist any infiltration attempt.
We are vigilant. Troops are guarding the border round the clock and have been instrumental in foiling the designs of militants, he said.
In late September, Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire along the LoC several times, opening fire on Indian forward posts in their attempt to give cover to infiltrating militants.
Over 130 infiltration bids from PoK were reported in less than 10 months, in which more than 70 militants were killed. (ANI)
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- India, Pakistan troops exchange fire, infiltration bid foiled - May 01, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled, Army man injured - Nov 24, 2010
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Army major, two militants killed in Poonch - Sep 09, 2009
- Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch - Sep 13, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Uri, three militants killed - Oct 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: army official, army troops, border fencing, bsf, ceasefire, foils, forward area, gun battle, gunfight, infiltration, international border, jammu and kashmir, jawan, kashmir, late september, pakistani rangers, pakistani troops, saturday afternoon, small arms fire, ultras