Are you an expensive surgeon, Rajesh Khanna asked (Lead, with correction in second para)July 25th, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) “I hope you are not a very expensive heart surgeon, I may need your services some day!”
This was Rajesh Khanna’s prayer to cardiac surgeon Mukesh Hariawala when the superstar called on legendary composer R.D. Burman after the latter had been operated upon in a London hospital.
It was the fifth day after the now US-based Hariawala’s bypass surgery of Burman at London’s Princess Grace Hospital. Rajesh Khanna trooped in with “Aradhana” director Shakti Samanta.
The year was 1989, Hariawala recalled to IANS in an interview from Boston.
On seeing Pancham, as R.D. Burman was known, in hospital, Rajesh Khanna remarked: “I was looking for you in the recording studio, but they told me you are in a London hospital.”
“Toh pehli flight lee, aur seedha yahan chala aya. (So I took the first flight and came here straight).”
Burman died in 1994, and Rajesh Khanna, aka Kaka, breathed his last July 18.
“I firmly believe that Rajesh Khanna and R.D. Burman were destined to be soul mates. The affectionate bonding between Pancham and Kaka was visibly touching,” said Hariawala.
The two have together given evergreen hits. While Pancham composed melodies like “Zindagi ke safar mein guzar jaate”, “O mere dil ke chain” and “Yeh shaam mastani”, the actor added his spark on the silver screen.
Hariawala recalled how Rajesh Khanna wanted to take Burman out of the hospital to a nearby pub for a beer, but the doctor declined to give the permission.
“Rajesh Khanna was disappointed but in a gentlemanly manner apologised for suggesting to break hospital rules,” the doctor said.
“As an alternative, he then spoke of plans to celebrate the success of the surgery,” said Hariawala.
In the hospital, Burman boasted to Rajesh Khanna that Hariawala had observed that his (Burman’s) heart was physically larger than most people’s.
The superstar immediately responded with a smile: “Puri duniya jaanti hai ki Pancham bade dilwale hain. (The world knows that Pancham is a large-hearted man).”
- Are you an expensive surgeon, Rajesh Khanna asked (With Image) - Jul 25, 2012
- Rajesh, Pancham and Kishore were a lethal combination: Anupam - Jun 29, 2012
- 'Achcha to hum chalte hain': Rajesh Khanna bids a quiet adieu (Obituary) - Jul 18, 2012
- Singers miss Pancham Da, say industry needed him now - Jun 26, 2012
- Asha remembers Pancham-da, breaks down (With Images) - Jun 27, 2012
- Indian-American surgeon to bring low-cost heart therapy to India - Aug 04, 2012
- 'Pancham drew inspiration from sounds made by beggars, shepherds' - Jun 28, 2012
- Lata Mangeshkar remembers R.D. Burman - Jun 27, 2011
- Little-known 'Pancham': New biography tells endearing tales (With Image) - Apr 12, 2011
- B-town mourns loss of Rajesh Khanna, the 'phenomenon' - Jul 18, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna left behind beautiful music: Jackie Shroff - Aug 11, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna back home, nothing to worry: Manager - Apr 27, 2012
- Bollywood remembers Panchamda on his 72nd birth anniversary (June 27 is R.D. Burman's birth anniversary) - Jun 25, 2011
- Pakistani fans remember `babumoshai' Rajesh Khanna - Jul 19, 2012
- Rajesh Khanna unwell, stops food intake - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: apologised, bypass surgery, cardiac surgeon, evergreen hits, fifth day, gentlemanly manner, guzar, heart surgeon, kaka, legendary composer, london hospital, o mere dil ke chain, pancham, princess grace hospital, r d burman, rajesh khanna, safar, shaam, shakti samanta, soul mates