Apoorva Lakhia Makes His Acting Debut As A Modern-Day MogamboAugust 17th, 2010 - 9:05 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
August 17, 2010 (Sampurn Wire): It looks like recession has given Bollywood directors a chance to live out their acting fantasies. The season of directors turning actors is upon us full-blast. After a full-fledged debut as leading men by Farhan Akhtar and Rituparno Ghosh and cameos by Sudhir Mishra (Corporate), Karan Johar (Luck By Chance) and Anurag Kashyap (Luck By Chance), it is Apoorva Lakhia’s turn.
Unlike his colleagues, Lakhia makes his debut as a villain in buddy Sanjay Dutt’s film Knock Out. Ironically he plays the guy who wants to kill Dutt.
He plays what a source from the film’s unit describes as, “The villain, a highly scientific, very precise killer who uses a combination of killer squads, sophisticated technology, and razor-sharp mind to locate and liquidate Sanjay Dutt… Lakhia’s character turns the tables on Sanju so quickly and with such lethal efficiency. His character is volatile and unpredictable. Lakhia takes the audience to a gripping climax where he fights it out with Sanju.”
Acccording to sources from Knock Out, Lakhia’s is one of the best villainous roles since Mogambo in Mr India. When asked about it, the director, currently lying low because of recession and the ensuing aridity of movies on the floors, says, “Where did you hear about this? I’m really not at liberty to talk about it. Before my character kills Sanju, my producer will kill me if I squeal.”
Director Mani Shankar, too, chooses to remain tight-lipped. But a source says shooting with Lakhia was not easy. Apparently the shooting got cancelled three times when Lakhia was to give his first shot for Knock Out.
Says the source, “There was a rain thunderstorm and strong winds every time director Mani Shankar tried to take Lakhia’s first shot. Yes, the shooting got postponed three times, almost as if Nature was conspiring to keep Lakhia off camera. Finally the director decided to shoot the scene despite the bad weather. Although he had spent so much time behind the camera, it took a while for Lakhia to figure out how merciless a closeup lens could be. There were lots of intense off-camera discussions between Mani and Lakhia before every shot.”
After the experience Lakhia was heard telling the director, “Direction is so much easier.”
Apparently Lakhia has done a splendid job as a villain. Lakhia’s buddy Abhishek Bachchan, who played the antagonist in Raavan has competition in the Best Villain’s category at the awards this year.
Incidentally, Apoorva Lakhia’s cousin Aditya Lakhia is an actor. He played Kachra in Lagaan.
– Subhash K Jha / Sampurn Wire
- Apoorva Lakhia makes acting debut as modern-day Mogambo - Aug 17, 2010
- New cop thriller will start in August: Apoorva Lakhia - Jun 06, 2010
- 'Knock Out' - thriller with a conscience(IANS Film Review; Rating:***) - Oct 16, 2010
- 'Knock-Out' Ketosis-Based Diet For Dutt - Oct 29, 2009
- Irrfan Khan-Sanjay Dutt Face-Off - Jul 26, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt shoots despite wound - Oct 22, 2011
- 'Mahi didn't want to play Mona Darling' - Apr 10, 2012
- Art director Ashish Lakhia passes away - Mar 13, 2012
- Priyanka to shoot 'Zanjeer' remake starting September - Jul 23, 2012
- When Irrfan wanted to throw punches in 'Knock Out' - Jul 28, 2010
- Priyanka doing 'Zanjeer', will start shooting in September - Jun 12, 2012
- Priyanka not yet confirmed for 'Zanjeer' remake: Apoorva Lakhia - Apr 07, 2012
- Big B unlikely to be discharged Tuesday - Feb 14, 2012
- 'KNOCKOUT' Released on 15th October 2010 - Oct 01, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt, Kangna, Irrfan and Mani Shankar Go Ga Ga - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: aridity, bad weather, cameos, climax, full blast, karan johar, leading men, mogambo, mr india, recession, rituparno ghosh, sanjay dutt, sanju, shankar, sophisticated technology, squeal, strong winds, thunderstorm, time director, villain